Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Name for the New Year

We were expecting Steve, Lorraine and Sean (Ed's son & family) for the day on Monday.  It did seem strange that they still weren't here by 3:30 p.m. and we couldn't reach them on their cell phones.  We were getting worried.  Somewhere along the line, Ed missed the fact that they were coming for a few days.

Things worked out fine and we got along great.  As of Wednesday, they asked if it was OK for them to stay a couple more days.  Things went smoothly because Sean (6) is very good at entertaining himself.  Plus, Ed and Steve planned and cooked all the meals.  Lorraine and I just cleaned up.

Sean was my "reading boy" again and we had fun reading lots of books.  I gave him "The Monster at the End of the Book" and a favorite from my childhood called "Millions of Cats".  As with all children, the repetition is what endears one to a book and the personal attention is invaluable in developing self-concept and self-worth.

The best part of the week was a name change for me.  I moved from being called "Miss Mary" to my new title "Grandmother Mary".  That is music to my ears! 

I still keep in touch with my two older grandchildren from my first marriage and that contact means so much to me.  Now I have another grandson to follow as he grows up.   Maybe the fact that I never had children makes me treasure being called "Grandmother" more than ever.

Happy 2011 to my grandchildren, family, and friends!!! 

1 comment:

Beth said...

My mother and her parents read to my sister and me frequently when we were little. Sean will remember your reading to him for the rest of his life, which should encourage his interest in books. It's even easier now for kids to shun books in favor of TV and computer.