Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Calm Christmas

Our Christmas was very calm this year.  Ed kept showing me various Christmas trees in the stores but I didn't summon the energy to put one up.   I did have my shell trees so that sufficed for this year.  
I made a centerpiece in craft club and put out a few nativity scenes.
I especially enjoyed using the snail-mail cards to decorate our dining room wall.  I claim to be an email-only card sender, but I really do like paper cards.
On Christmas eve, Ed and I ate at Perkins.  He sort of turns up his nose at Perkins (no atmosphere and not cheap) but he admitted that his patty melt was delicious and his fries were hot.  I always like the food there.

We went to the First Methodist Church, where we've been going on Sundays.  From 7:30-8:00 they had a handbell concert that was very enjoyable.  The service itself included scripture, reflections regarding the meaning of the Advent candles and lots of beautiful music.  We were surprised to discover it was almost 9:30 when we came out.  The communion took a while because there were about 500 people there.

On Christmas day we went to a friend's house here in Savanna Club.  Ellie is Italian and has been cooking for weeks.  Her house and table only holds 24 people and those 24 slots were filled.  When she found out that we were going out for Chinese food, she invited us for dessert.

On Christmas eve morning, Ellie called.  She's had a cancellation and asked if we'd like to come for the dinner, too.  I made a dessert (dump cake with cherries, pineapple, and nuts) which went over well.  We met a lot of new people and most of them live in Savanna Club.  All that homemade Italian food was delicious and Ellie made the best eggplant Parmesan that I've EVER tasted! I really enjoyed the party, the people and the food.


Ed's son, Steve and his family are coming on Monday.  We haven't seen Sean (6) since their visit to the farm last summer and are looking forward to the day.
Boys with their Toys
Some young folks in Grandmother/Aunt Mary's life will recognize this book.
p.s.  There is a freeze warning for tonight and Monday night.  This time I got smart and asked Ed to help me cover the plants.  It was so gusty that some sheets blew off during the afternoon.  We had to go out several times to add more bricks to hold them down.

No comments: