Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Horrendous Hospital Bill

We knew it was coming and sure enough, it did -- the bill for my 13 nights in the hospital with Lymes disease.  I did sit down before I opened the envelope and that was a good thing.

The bill was a mere $25,000.00!  There also might be additional bills from radiologists, ER physicians, Pathology associates and more.   This is when I am thankful for health insurance.   I still owe a chunk but my Medicare Humana Gold PFFS (Private Fee for Service) plan takes care of the rest.

I knew it wouldn't be cheap but I had no clue it would be this much.  Wow, what would it have been if I'd had any surgery? 

1 comment:

Beth said...

Whoa, Nelly--that's a horrendous figure! You can bet the additional bills you mentioned (plus more) will trickle in!

*FYI: Check with your insurance carriers to make sure that you really do owe all those providers before paying. I discovered by accident that just because they bill you for the amount remaining after insurance doesn't always mean you're responsible for paying it. For example, a provider may have contracted with your insurance company to accept whatever amounts it will pay for services rendered. In that case, you do NOT owe the remainder. Call your insurance company and have them contact the provider if you have any trouble.