Sunday, January 30, 2011

8. Memories of Fran by Friends and Family

In no particular order...

Maribeth Hester May, Phil’s wife, Fran’s daughter (daughter-in-law)
          Fran was always on the back porch no matter what time we got to the farm yelling, "WELCOME,WELCOME, WELCOME," always with a big smile and hug for us.


          Fran was always so happy when we would come home for the weekend and Philip would play the piano at the Methodist Church.  I would always worry that when Levi was a toddler that he would misbehave during church.  I was so impressed at how many things Fran had put in her purse to keep Levi occupied. My most favorite was when she would put small pieces of scotch tape on his hands and fingers and just let him pull it off and put it back on over and over.  What a smart lady my Mother-in-law was.  I will miss her dearly.


          Over the last 2 years when Fran was with Philip and me in Texas she told me several times how she thought of me as a  daughter and she appreciated how good I was to her.  Just thinking about that brings tears to my eyes. I loved her very much!!!!

Hunter Hollar, Cousin in Singers Glen
             What a wonderful celebration of your Mother’s life. I learned some new things about Fran, but, most significant to me was to hear the three of you talk about your Mother. Nothing can replace the love of one's Mother, and I know you will all feel the loss. I feel honored to have been present for the meaningful celebration of her life at a special place--Donovan Memorial--where we all grew up and learned our values and about our relationship with God. We are so fortunate to have grown up in a loving family and even an extended family where our grandparents were so much a part of our lives.


          I have some memories of Fran. I remember the warm family meals that the Hollars shared with the Mays in the upstairs kitchen. Somehow, indelibly etched in my mind’s eye I can see a Red Velvet cake--I believe the first one I had ever seen or tasted. Yum! It just symbolizes for me the gathering of our families. 

Speaking of gatherings, none of us will forget the Hollars getting snowed in on the hill with the Mays. We only lived a couple of miles away, but couldn't get off the hill in those blizzard conditions! Fran welcomed us to stay! 

             I also have a definite recollection of Fran calling Walker "Red". We always referred to him as Walker, as did others around church, but Fran always called him "Red" as I recall. I think it was a neat name of endearment. I like it and I even got that nickname from some of my high school teamates. 


           I can't picture Fran without thinking about her smile. She had narrow lips, but the line of her mouth just lengthened into the most wonderful smile...which was sometimes followed by a laugh which seemed to come from deep in her "gut". I don't know why I remember that, but I can see her laughing! 


            Many talked about her "Southern charm", and I remember it as well.  I always liked that she retained that definite hint of a North Carolina accent. I first heard it from Fran, but I could later identify it clearly when I played baseball with a bunch of North Carolina guys. 

Thelma Hollar, cousin and close friend of Mom             
          Fran was my very dear friend.  She and Walker were married exactly one month before Leonard and I.  Our families grew up very close because Walker and Leonard were in quartets together.


            Our families had many good dinners and picnics together.  I remember the evening we were at the Mays for dinner.  It started snowing while we were there.  We were all having too good a time to notice how much it was snowing.  When we were ready to leave, we couldn’t get out.  We spent the night at the Mays.


            Fran was always a gracious hostess and a real Southern Lady.  I remember her children’s sermons at church and the beautiful tables at every Birthday Dinner.  Fran had been busy planning the beautiful table decorations and napkins from year to year.    I’ll miss you, Fran.   Love, Thelma

Barry Hollar, a cousin from Singers Glen           "Mary, your mother was always so kind and joyful.  I know you are missing her and will always have a kind of emptiness.  God bless you with resurrection hope."
 
Aldeen and Eugene Wenger, close family friends
            Mom May was a real classy lady.  We both will forever be grateful for how Walker and she took us in as adopted parents and included us.  We always felt welcomed, loved and enjoyed many fun times.  It was gospel music that bought us together.  We liked Walker from the beginning when we moved to Virginia because Fran and he would share with us about the harmony and the words of the songs.  It was the message of the songs that ministered to us all.


           Gospel concerts, classical concerts, Nut Cracker productions, dinners, Shenandoah Music Theater plays, and best of all, just sitting around their place visiting and laughing enjoying good food together.  We enjoyed Fran’s sweet, warm smile.  She will be missed.  What an honor to have been able to say she was our friend and like a “fill-in’ mom.

Ed Angelil, Fran's son-in-law, Mary’s husband
          I came to Virginia to meet the family, which was basically Mary's mom.  I flew into the small regional airport, where Mary and Fran picked me up for the drive back to the family farmhouse.  I knew it was hilly country from looking down on the geography from the airplane but I had no idea how narrow, windy, and twisty the roads were.  


          Fran drove way too fast, to my way of thinking!  The curves, the hills and the swoops were coming faster and faster and faster.  I knew on the next curve I was going to die.  I thought,  "I've come all the way to this place to die because of the way this madwoman is driving."  I understood why, the first time I picked up my son when he came to visit, he kept saying,  "Dad, slow down!  You're going too fast for these roads!"  

          Now, I drive even faster than Fran did that first day.  I know I'm not going to die from any accident on these winding roads because I learned from Fran how to drive skillfully.      
   
Shelley McDonough, Mother’s sitter and “adopted” daughter in Texas for the last  two years.
           Where should I begin?   As you know, Fran had a sense of humor.


          In the beginning of Fran’s recovery there was what was known as the "Phil Card". When Fran was not motivated to do what was required, especially with practicing walking, several of us would use the card. “Phil would want you to do this,” or “Phil will be disappointed if you don't even try.” I have to admit I was not the only one using the card. Therapy was definitely using it also.

          One day I had used the card.  The next day it was raining and I was about 5 minutes late.  I walked in as my cheerful self and gave a big hello. Fran didn't say anything -- just kept on eating breakfast. It wasn't until she finished that she just looked at me and said, “Phil would want you to be on time.” As luck would have it, she couldn't keep it together and we just started laughing. This is the first time I got a taste of Fran's sense of humor. 

          One day after the stroke had taken away her ability to feed herself, I began the task. At this point everything was pureed and colored. Given the fact that I already knew she didn't like green peas, I proceeded to give her a mouthful. She began to moan and groan to which I said, “Spit them out!”  She didn’t spit – she just let them run out of her mouth all over the place.  After I had cleaned her up she looked at me and said, “Southern women do not spit and I don't like peas.”

Rosalie Bailey,  wife of Paul Bailey, one of our favorite ministers in the Glen
          I remember Fran as being always cheerful and sweet-natured.  She made a lasting impression on me that long-ago day when Paul and I were being moved from the old parsonage to another house in the Glen in order to demolish that parsonage and make room to build the new one.  The demolition had begun even while we were trying to move our belongings out of the house.  It was a very stressful day, especially with a toddler underfoot.  

           At lunchtime, Fran surprised us with a wonderful hot lunch from her kitchen—meatloaf, baked potatoes and fresh lima beans.  This took place in 1963 and now, almost 48 years later, I still vividly remember Fran’s smiling face as she brought us that treasure of thoughtfulness and caring.  You know that meal had to have been special if I still remember it after all this time!

Joe Price, a family friend who sang in a quartet with Daddy and was a disc jockey at WHBG (the station where Daddy hosted Sunday Morning Gospel Time for 35 years.)
To the May Family; 
          I was saddened to read of the passing of your mother.  I remember many good things about your Mom and Dad.  They were very kind to Nancy and me when we first moved here.  And to find out she was from our home county in North Carolina, made her almost family.  She rode with us once down to Dobson when we were going to Elkin, and there were times we would deliver the Christmas packages to the Freeman home when we would go to Elkin. Once your Dad had driven her down to Dobson and she rode back with us. 
          
          I recall many good Sunday meals at your home with one of you serving as the "slave" and waiting the table from your window-seat perch, singing good ole gospel songs with Walker and Leonard Hollar, and early morning "howdys" at WHBG.  They were extraordinarily good people, as I am sure you know. 
          
           I very much regret that because of obligations I previously had made, I will be unable to attend the services or family night.  I am sorry.  I send my condolences and my best wishes to each of you.

Bill Bartelme, Mother’s “Tax Man” who used to live near the farm
          Please accept my condolences.  Your Mother was a very special person, and a good friend to me.  I remember a couple of things that I would like to share. During hay season, I would try to get home early and help -- not for the money, but for the great meal in the evening -- some of the best iced tea ever, and gravy bread was LEGAL!  The other thing I will always remember was Christmas Eve.  No matter who we had staying at our house (across the road from Bob and Ginny May), we were all invited up when Walker and Fran got home from church for coffee and red velvet cake. Our signal that they were home was the pole light being turned on.  It was the perfect way to start the holiday.  I still miss Walker, and now miss Fran too.  

Maggie Gridley, friend, hairdresser and house-sitter for Mary and Ed
          My memories of Fran are so awesome. I loved her the moment I met her. I was her hair stylist for several years and I loved giving her a "Fran Style," not a "little old lady style". She had the greatest hair to work with and the smile on her face whenever I saw her made her very young and loveable.  I would also grab her hand and dance with her. She never gave up, no matter what.    

          At one time, she wanted to learn to knit. I went over to her house and gave her several lessons. I think we both found out that knitting was not her thing. At least she was happy to try and she loved having the company.

          I also went over to Harrisonburg Rehab and cut her hair there. It was difficult because, at that point, she was in a wheelchair and could not move very much.  Her back was so bad.  I know I made her feel better, even though it was not the greatest hair cut with all of the obstacles.  I have thought of her many times over the past several months with no quality of life and I just wanted to cry. I shall miss her Happy Face and I am very glad to have been her friend.

Mitzi MacAllister, the Postmaster in Singers Glen for many years, also a cousin
          Fran was a gracious lady and great companion to her husband Walker. When I think of her, I can hear her southern accent obtained by growing up in the North Carolina Piedmont. I especially remember how artistic Fran was as the person in charge of the 'Birthday Meal' at church for many years. She would come up with very artistic and creative items for the tables that represented a theme for each month of the year.
 
Ellen Brown Mauzy,  Anita’s friend since first grade
          I had wonderful times visiting the Mays when a child and will never forget her warm smile and cinnamon toast extordinare!  Please share with your family my sadness and memories!
 
           My thoughts and prayers are with you. No matter how ready they are to go and you are to let your parents go, it is a profound loss.  Allow yourselves time to heal and as time passes you will remember them with warmth and laughter at the most unexpected times.   That has been my experience as well as many others who have shared with me.   For me and most I know, it takes time for the good memories to come, but when they do, it is so wonderful.  Don't push it, just love and hold on to each other as you process and heal. Wish I could be there for the services, but just returned to my home in Atlanta from a wonderful visit in the Valley.

Faith Histand, one of Mom’s caregivers when she was still at home, who now rents the farmhouse
A few memories of Fran:
--- She loved to be read to. I spent many afternoons reading to her.
--- She enjoyed food. Different times she’d say “I’m so hungry for “chide fricken”.” (fried chicken)  Sometimes after doctor’s appointments we’d stop at Wendy’s because she wanted a salad. I forget which one was her favorite – I think it was something sesame – maybe?     
--- She had a great sense of humor. Even though she was diabetic she still had a sweet tooth. One time we stopped at Food Lion to get some fruit and salad. I was getting out of the car to go in and she looked at me with a twinkle in her eye and said, “Get me something “GOOD”” (meaning sweet)!

Laura Koogler, a special neighbor
         What memories do I have of Fran? I remember her as a kind neighbor and friend. I remember her as the ideal of a southern lady. She always looked so nice with her pretty white hair. I loved to hear her talk with that wonderful southern accent. Sometimes we would walk up the hill to visit awhile. She was always so happy to see us. 


          We would talk about lots of things. She would catch us up on what her family was doing. She was proud of her grandchildren and always excited to tell about a planned visit from any of them. To put it briefly, she was the kind of neighbor everyone would like to have. We were very sorry when she had to leave. Mockingbird Hill isn’t the same without her, but we are thankful she is now at peace.   With love, Laura & family


Mike and Nyoka Stroop were both in Mom’s class in Singers Glen Elementary - the same year.
          We are very saddened to hear of your mother’s death. What a true lady she was, so very kind to everyone.  We will never forget our special second grade teacher with the pretty white hair.  Our hearts are with you and your family.  God bless,  Mike and Nyoka 

Nancy and Buddy Strawderman, friends from church
How do I start?  First, I feel honored to have known Fran.  She always had a kind word to say to me.  She was my son’s first grade teacher and a very good one, too. She loved her church and family and friends. I could go on and on telling you good things about her but you already know them. If I can do ANYTHING please let me know. Love and prayers are with you all, Nancy & Buddy Strawderman and family

Virginia Dare Morris, a neighbor
Virginia Dare wrote: "Mary, so sorry for your loss but rejoice in knowing that she is where she has been longing to go. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you." 

Beth Brower Foerster, a friend from church
Fran had a good sense of humor that must have served her well through the years. Mary, you inherited that from her.


Fran did know how to put together a snazzy outfit! In looking at all these photos, it occurred to me that a big part of Fran's style was her smile. Her smile was genuine and made her eyes twinkle, hinting at her adventurous, fun-loving qualities and her sense of humor.

Jewel Shenk, taught with Mother at Singers Glen Elementary School many years ago. 
Jewel happened to be in town and surprised Mother by appearing at her 80th Birthday Party.

Jewel wrote: "Fran was such a sweet and gracious lady. I am blessed for having known and worked with her. May wonderful memories bring you joy as you celebrate her life."

Gayle Davis, a close friend from church
One of my last memories of your mother was the time I took her for a doctor’s appointment.  I told her I wanted to be one of her daughters although I was a little old to be her daughter.  She was so pleasant to be around and I actually enjoyed our trip to her doctor.  She was grateful for the ride and later gave me a P. Buckley Moss cross stitch kit, which I treasure.

Donna Sampson, friend of Anita May Krull and choir director at Mom’s church
Anita and I met in high school concert choir and have been friends ever since. I will always remember the warmth and kindness of Fran the first time I visited Mockingbird Hill for a sleep-over. Most of all I remember those delicious blueberry pancakes she made for breakfast - the very best I have ever eaten!
Every time Anita came home through the years we would get together and Fran always made me feel like a part of the family. She was genuinely interested in what was happening in my life and asked about  my entire family. She really cared about people. 

I did not know that Fran was a piano major in college. She always asked me to play the piano every time I came to their home. She made me feel special as she did everyone. I only wish I could have heard her play the piano. I remember one Sunday I played a song on the organ and Fran expressed to me how much she liked the song and wondered if the choir could learn it and I said, "Sure" and so we did sing it for worship. The song was "Give Them All to Jesus". I always think of Fran when I hear or play this song.

We will miss Fran at Donovan UMC but I can just see her singing in that heavenly choir and smiling that southern smile that will forever be implanted in my mind.

No comments: