Monday, May 2, 2011

Festival Fun at Savanna Club

I was curious about this festival because it has been a main topic of business for a couple of months at the clubs I attend. 

It seems all clubs are expected to participate and the profit money goes to the Homeowner's Association (HOA).  I wondered why people joined in so willingly but it turned out I enjoyed the day and the people who manned the booths and ran the activities seemed to have fun, also.

Some of the money made on a previous festival purchased the booth tents, which made everything attractive and organized.
My Craft Club leader made the signs for all the booths.
Here's Lois at the Craft Club booth with various past and future projects.
Are the Garden Club members sitting down on the job?  (Keep in mind that this is a 55+ community so "oldsters" need to pace themselves.)  They gave some demonstrations on how to make a container garden.
Ed and Cliff had a big pow wow, consult and lesson with his fishing club buddies.  Ed was tickled to buy a nice rod for only $10....however, the reel to go on it was at Wal-mart for a mere $38.

Our new board member had quite an initiation!  Maybe they want to be sure he knows he's wet behind the ears when it comes to board business?
No detail was overlooked, right down to the cute popcorn machine.
Who would have thought about a generator to supply power for the slow-cookers?

I thought the American Jewish Friendship Club had the most work with making the hamburgers and hotdogs.
But, they smiled as they worked together.
There was a large tent where people could eat and sit in the shade to hear the music.

There were various singers (mostly karaoke style), a few numbers by the Savanna Club Chorus, and Elvis's little (not necessarily younger) brother was there!  He was cute!
 

I got so involved watching that I didn't take pictures of the ballroom dancers.  It must have taken a bit of extra effort to waltz on tarmac and the same went for the tap dancers.

I always get a kick (no pun intended) out of the Tappettes --- partly because they have such good choreography and costumes but mostly because they have the spunk and energy to get up there.  This was their "Singing in the Rain" number. 

Bonnie and I also had fun just watching people.  

I had to get a shot of this creative hat because my sister does lots of plastic canvas work.
And what event isn't complete without a few old cars?

The Festival was yet another well-done Savanna Club activity that makes us glad we moved here.  We're amazed at all the charities that are supported by SC volunteers and funds.    

p.s.  I excused myself this year since my ankle is still healing and it swells if I'm on it too long.   This was my time to get an overview of what was going on.   Maybe next time.....but NOT the dunk tank!

No comments: