Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Florida Flowers in Spring

My sister was asking me if we have daffodils in the spring in Florida.  No, we don't, but her question inspired me to really take a look.  Anita, this post is for YOU!

The entrance area to Savanna Club (our 55+ community) is beautifully kept and makes the place look inviting. 
(Click on any photo for a larger version.)
 The flowers in the beds are changed several times a year.

We pass these pink oleander bushes and pink impatiens (I think that's what they are) as we leave our community.

The bougainvillea bushes are favorites of mine.  I love them EXCEPT for the fact that they're covered with sharp thorns.
They show up in several colors.
This bush had several colors growing on the same bush. 
Hidden at the base of this bougainvillea bush is a colorful croton plant.

The water lilies are out in their spring glory.
There's something special about water lilies.

Planting and keeping beds up does take effort.
 

These hibiscus, impatiens and geraniums are colorful.

Showy, huh?

Red  impatiens border this driveway.

The trunk of this palm (not sure what it is) makes a nice center of interest in this spring bed.

Bushes of color...
We see the lady who lives here out working on her flowers a lot.

Who knew white could be so showy?

At the base of a lamppost.

Hibiscus come in several colors, too.
Yellow hibiscus bushes.

Gardenia bushes are in full bloom -- I can almost smell this one just from looking at the picture!

I'd love to get a nice vine growing on our lamppost like the one below.

This house belongs to a lady in my garden club.  She has a nice mix of colors and textures.

The oleander trees were really pretty this spring,

I like the reddish Thai plants (either side of the sign) when the sun hits the leaves and sets off their bright color.
Palms and flowers welcome spring.
More flowers, palms and the yellow-and-green-leaved (is there such a word?) arbicola plants.

This aloe plant is in the yard of a house near the front entrance and we all wait to see how the lady will decorate for each season.

Another spring bed.

The magnolia trees are starting to bloom beautifully.
I am fascinated with the way the stamen (seeds?) fall into the petals.
Mother loved magnolia trees and these brought warm memories of her during my flower photo tour.

Happy Spring from Savanna Club!

4 comments:

Tee said...

Beautiful plants. I wish oleander would winter in Virginia. I have checked and all the garden centers advise against it. I fell in love with the oleanders in Myrtle Beach. When are you going back to Bluebird Hill?

Anonymous said...

Mary you do such a good job of chronicalling your adventures and neighborhood.

Beautiful pictures.

marymay said...

Now I'm curious who you are, Anonymous! Thanks to you and Tee for your comments.

Beth said...

Apparently tulips don't grow in FL. I'd miss them, since they're among my favorite flowers. That's the biggest aloe plant I've ever seen! There used to be a couple of large magnolia trees down the street from us in the front yard of the brick house, but they've been removed. I miss smelling their beautiful flowers.