Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sleepless in Singers Glen

Today was one of those strange days of retirement -- where you make it up as you go.  I woke up about 7 a.m. and could tell Ed was sleeping soundly so I quietly read in bed for over an hour.  

Finally got up and made it to one of our sweetest computer clients, Frances Campbell, at 10:00 a.m.  She wanted to have me check her security programs and a few other small things.  It seemed that no matter what I did, the computer froze and crashed.  After rebooting several times, I called my guru, Ed.  He had me reboot in Safe Mode.  After several calls, I convinced him to come over.  Well, the same things happened to him and we ended up working there several more hours.  FINALLY, we got things working smoothly.

By that time it was going on 3:00 p.m. and we hadn't had lunch -- we're still on our Cure for the Middle-aged Middle diet.  We left one of our cars on the west side of town and went to Ham's restaurant, where we had their baby back ribs and salad.  As of today we've both lost 7 pounds......man, I haven't had a piece of bread for 4 weeks!  

During lunch, it absolutely poured.  We stopped at the bank, did a few other errands, and got our other car.  We went to Finders Keepers, this great local discount store.  One thing I bought was some hard candy for the church to throw out from its float to advertise Vacation Bible School on Saturday.  The Singers Glen Parade is THE big social event of the year - the parade is only about 15 minutes long but we do enjoy it!  The Singers Glen lawn party starts Thursday night and will finish Saturday night.

Ed went on home and I stopped at the drug store for a minute.  I started home and realized he was probably already there so called to tell him I would just go on and run the candy down to the church.  I arrived at church and saw the very people I needed to give it to, thinking I wouldn't even have to get out of the car.  Wouldn't you know....the candy was in Ed's car!

I stopped at Thelma Hollar's, as she had told me to come get a start of a purple flower she has.  She ended up giving me several flowers I don't have and I had a nice visit with her.  She lost Leonard, her husband of 63 years, recently.  I've always loved her so and it's a pleasure to spend time with her, even during this difficult period of adjustment.

As soon as I got home, Faith and Jonathan, our new neighbors, called and said they'd be down shortly.  We'd asked them if we could hire them to trim our 3 forsythia bushes by the shop, which had gotten about 10 feet tall.  I thought they'd be here most any time so went out to dig some flower starts for Faith.  Naturally, the wet ground made the weeds just slide right out of the dirt so I'd just pull a weed here and a weed there......ended up staying out till almost dark, when Ed insisted I should come in.  Faith and Jonathan did a wonderful job - my, what young people working in a team can accomplish.

After a little time on the computer, I got in bed to read for just a bit.......Ed came into his recliner in the bedroom and we just kept reading and reading.  I finished my book (just started it last night --  "Big Girl" by Danielle Steele) and Ed only had 6 pages to finish his.  We didn't go to bed till 12:30 a.m.  

I'm itching to get back out to those weeds but here it is about 2:30 and I can't turn my mind off!  Bet I'll sleep tomorrow night........I'll be counting weeds instead of sheep!

No comments: