Friday, June 18, 2010

Yard Swap Party

I saw this on Carolyn Arnette's Facebook status in early May, 2010:

Our "Ultimate Girfriend Yard Swap" will be Sunday, June 8th, at 1:00 p.m.   Remember, beyond being economical, eco-friendly, and an excuse to clean out your home, this Swap with your Girlfriends is far more fun than a yard sale with strangers!  And best of all - NO MONEY NEEDED! " Reduce, Reuse, Recycle" and a Reason to socialize too.

Bring 3-10 items.  We will also accept  "extra" items, just to make it interesting.  You may have an extra kitchen item, piece of jewelry, a book or two, CD's, DVD's, etc. that we cam make them into a set.  

You may drop off  your items any day between May 30th and June 5th. Snacks and beverages will be served.  

Beyond being economical, eco-friendly, and an excuse to clean out your home, this Swap with your Girlfriends is far more fun than a yard sale with strangers! 

That sounded like such a neat idea so I asked if I could come, too -- just brazenly invited myself!  I especially wanted to go because I wanted to see how Carolyn organized the event.  

During the week before the party, each person is asked to bring at least 10 items that are good but they don't use.  Carolyn organized everything for display in a room.  When people arrived, they first had a potluck meal.  Then they ran it sort of like a Chinese gift exchange.  People drew a number, went into the room, and chose an item.  The next person could take that item or go choose another one.

Since I had a funeral to attend, Carolyn graciously had me come by and make a list of things I'd like.  My high school friend, Phyllis Flick, was there and kept my list.   That evening I went in and Phyllis had kept about 5 of the things from the list.  The left-over items are donated to a charity so I got to choose 5 more items.

Watch out, I just may get energetic and try one of these Yard Swap Parties!

p.s.  Carolyn is the first cousin and best friend of Leslee from Alaska

Another p.s.  2018  I got a sturdy oak office straight chair.  It has been a delight to use in the garage for putting my boots on.

No comments: