Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Catching Up in VA

The days seem to fly by here.  I feel like I'm making some progress on catching up with my weeds.   I finished spraying the thistles and poke weeds today -- although that's a never-ending process.

A few people asked about my birthday celebration on June 5th.  Since Ed and I are still on our "Cure for the Middle-aged Middle" diet, we decided to postpone the birthday meal.  I spent the day doing something that gave me great pleasure.  My cousin, Leonard Hollar (84) died on Thursday.  I called his son, Hunter, and offered anything at all to help.  We were pleased and honored that he felt close enough to request a casserole for Saturday, since family was coming in. 

We actually got up at 8:00 a.m. (early for us!) and went to Costco, Wal-Mart, and Redfront Supermarket.  We got lasagna, beans, rolls, Jamaican meat pies, fruit, cookies, tabbouleh, and breakfast burritos.   We delivered everything except the lasagna and beans to Hunter and Mary Margaret's house.  When they were cooked, we took them down.

Saturday evening we went to the visitation at the funeral home, Sunday morning to church, then to town for a bit (more on the Yard Sale Party later), to the funeral, the graveside service, and we were invited to the family dinner given at church afterward.  The funeral was very simple and touching.  Leonard's sons, Hunter and Barry, gave the best eulogies I've ever heard -- filled with humor, touching memories, and making important points about their dad's life.

No comments: