Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tomato Clause

I enjoyed growing some tomatoes in the past few years.  Our friend, Gayle Davis, had shared some Cherokee Purple tomatoes with us a few years ago that were simply delicious.   I've watched since then and had never been able to find the plants.  While I was still in Florida, Gayle emailed that she'd found some at the local farmers' market so I asked her to get me a couple.  She was only able to get one for me but I was happy.

Meanwhile, I'd decided to take a break from tomato growing this summer.  Faith and Jonathan have rented Mother's house at the top of the hill (a few hundred yards away from us).   They've plowed up part of the area where Grandmother May used to have her huge garden and are growing all sorts of veggies.  So, I gave the Cherokee Purple to Faith.

Faith was here yesterday and Ed asked her if she'd checked her lease because my brother was supposed to put a Tomato Clause in there.  Puzzled, she inquired,  "A what?"  and was met with,  "A tomato clause that says you have to give us every 5th tomato that you grow!"

The light dawned in her eyes and she laughed as she reassured Ed that she'd give us some tomatoes.

Shame on Ed.....he'd already cornered Gayle at church and somehow twisted her arm gotten her to promise him some tomatoes when hers come in. 

1 comment:

Beth said...

Ed's a smart guy--home-grown tomatoes are the best! A "Tomato Clause" should definitely be added to the lease agreement on Fran's house.