Thursday, June 7, 2012

Can't Boil Water

I was spoiled during my years with Ed because he did all the cooking.  When he started getting weaker, I made some food.  He laughingly told people he thought that cooking would be like riding a bicycle, it would come back to you .....but, that hadn't happened with MaryMay.

I had some Weight Watcher points left one evening recently so decided to make some popcorn.  It must have been old because, not only did it barely pop, it burned very badly.  I rushed it outside but the microwave, kitchen, and house were filled with a strong burnt smell.

My Facebook friends gave suggestions and I googled it.  After using the vinegar, baking soda, and lemon along with boiling potpourri, buying spray odor remover, and leaving all the windows open with fans overnight, the smell was still there.  One especially helpful "friend" suggested cooking fish.  A week later, after boiling cinnamon water in the microwave daily, the odor is finally starting to dissipate. 

Maybe I'll give up my meager cooking and just eat out --- cooking for one isn't worthwhile anyway.  More importantly, I think I'll forget about EVER making popcorn again!  

1 comment:

Beth said...

Popcorn is too good a snack to give up! Buy the single serving packs and don't wait so long to indulge. More importantly, watch that popcorn like a hawk when it's in the microwave. Then make a note of how long it took to pop for future reference.