Saturday, June 30, 2012

Resplendent Roseate Spoonbill

There's nothing quite like glancing out your living room window to discover a pink bird about three feet tall wading along the edge of your lake.  

Even though my camera couldn't capture the beautiful pink color, I knew I was seeing a Roseate Spoonbill.  I was "tickled pink" that I did capture a good view of the spoon shape of his bill. 
Here are two photos from the web that show you the color a bit more clearly.
    The wing feathers range from bright red to magenta, depending on the age of the bird.
Click this link/title for an interesting article.  

Seeing something like this in a zoo is one thing, but seeing it in your own backyard is radically exciting to me.  Rah, rah, resplendent roseates!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely bird --- and seeing just outside your window is a bonus!

Anne

Beth said...

It's amazing how many different species of birds you see there!