Sunday, June 24, 2012

Puerto Rico - Robinson School Reconnections

I was attending the Welcome classes in preparation for joining the First Methodist Church of Port St. Lucie (FL).  The associate pastor, Dr. Rad Orlandi, was leading the class and started to introduce himself.  I knew he was Puerto Rican but when he said,  "I went to a small private Methodist school named Robinson School,"  I almost fell off my chair!  I raised my hand, quietly saying (but felt like yelling),  "I taught there!"

We were both sooo surprised!  We figured out that he was a senior the year I taught fourth grade in 1971.  He brought his yearbook in and I scanned lots of photos, which brought back MANY forgotten memories and people.

This is Dr. Rad Orlandi and MaryMay Angelil today:
 And in 1971:
 
People in the church might be surprised at what a heartthrob the young lad Rad was.  (He's still a heartthrob.....just a more mature version!)

Look at all that hair! 
Here's Miss May (AKA María Mayo) and her class: 

 To add to this story, Robinson School is celebrating their 110 year anniversary next weekend.  Rad is going and I'm already looking forward to his photos and report.

More to follow on Robinson School memories...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great encounter --- and another example of what a small world it really is!

Also, I thought of you when I read the list of the ten best retirement locations. The Villages was ranked #8 or #9 and Hilton Head Island/Beaufort was ranked #6.

Anne

marymay said...

It's always nice to hear from you Anne. I live in Savanna Club in Port St. Lucie, FL. We have 1900 homes built around and among a golf course and 35 lakes. I absolutely love it. http://www.solsticecommunities.com/savannaclub/

Beth said...

Small world!