Monday, May 28, 2012

Endodontist Ends Excruciating Pain

This was from March 27, 2012

When I told my endodontist that I was soooo glad to see her, she said not too many people feel that way.  I'd had four days of zinging pain and was barely able to sip room temperature Ensure through a straw, even the tiniest bit of toothpaste or touching my face sent me through the roof, so yes, I couldn't wait to see her!

Many people might describe these as instruments of torture but I say they're instruments that delivered me from pain. 

Most offices have some files but I learned that
endodontists have LOTS of files!

When I'm being worked on, I always try to envision what's happening.  I asked what they used to get the infection out and, as I thought, they use files..... all of teeny sizes! 
Here is my dear Dr. Jusarra Morsani and her assistant, Tanya.  This is the 2nd tooth she's done for me and I think she's THE best!
The thing I was most curious about was what they refer to as a rubber damn.  A former endodontist called it a raincoat.  Here the good doctor gets the rubber damn ready for me.
I'd been trying to imagine what it looked like so took my camera.  Oh, my, I didn't realize how strange this was!  It isolates the tooth and prevents anything from falling in my mouth while they're working.  The sunglasses protect my eyes.
Now comes the most amazing part!  Dr. Morsani works with a microscope and when it's a top tooth, she does it in reverse with a mirror.
I took a picture of my X-rays on the large computer monitor she has in the corner of the room where she works.  Somehow infection got under that 2nd crown I had gotten in December.  There was lots of infection in all four roots but luckily it hadn't reached the bone.
Now I have a clearer understanding of why flossing is crucial --- it keeps germs from gathering under our teeth.

Good-bye pain and another thousand bucks!!  
It was worth every penny. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting information! Glad your tooth-problem has been resolved.

Anne

Anonymous said...

Interesting information, Mary May. Soooo glad your tooth-problem has been resolved.

Anne

Beth said...

I first experienced the "dental dam," as my dentist called it, a year or two ago when a filling had to be replaced. I didn't see myself after being prepped, so thanks for the photo!