Saturday, November 5, 2011

Misinformation Melodrama

We're back in Florida after a busy summer preparing Mother's farmhouse and farm for sale.  Now it's time to contribute to the coffers of our doctors and dentists.  Our doctor isn't taking our insurance next year so we're trying a different doctor.

The following is a true story....it seems that in these huge companies, the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing.  Here's what happened:

I have seen several friends and relatives suffer horribly with shingles so I decided I'd best get my once-in-a-lifetime shingles vaccination.  My new doctor, Dr. Pinto, agreed and wrote the prescription, saying I could pick it up from the local Walgreens and bring it to them.  

This was VERY appealing to me because I have a phobia about shots and Sherry, Dr. Pinto's "Shotgiver", gave me the easiest flu shot I've EVER had.  Already, much of the apprehension about the shingles shot was lessened because I knew Sherry would make it quick and easy.

1.  Insurance covered shingles shot with no co-pay -- NOT!
I first called my insurance company and was told in no uncertain terms that, not only did they cover it, but there was not even a co-pay.  If Walgreens had any problem, they should call for confirmation on that.  When Walgreens did call, they were told there was a $75 co-pay -- that the person I had talked to was misinformed.

2.  Walgreens called to let me know the vaccine had arrived at their store -- NOT!
When I went to pick it up, I was told that I was misinformed --  it hadn't been transferred from their other store yet.   (I'm still scratching my head over that recorded call!)

3.  I could pick up the shingles shot for my doctor to administer it -- NOT!
Walgreens said that yes, I could do what my doctor said -- come pick it up but I should bring a little cooler with an ice pack because it needed to be kept frozen.  When I went to pick it up, I was told that they had misinformed me and either my doctor's office had to pick it up or I had to go to their clinic on the other side of town on November 9th.  (Pharmacists can give flu shots but only this certain nurse can administer the shingles shot.)

3.  My doctor could pick up the shingles shot -- NOT!
When my doctor's office called to explain their patients had been picking up the shingles shots like this for some time, they were told by a supervisor that I had to go to their nurse on November 9th.  They said I was misinformed about me being able to pick it up or the doctor being able to pick it up instead of me.

I thought maybe I could start fresh with CVS, only to be informed that they don't carry shingles vaccine.  So, hopefully, one of these weeks, I'll get a shingles shot.

This post could go on and on with the many other medical comedies of misinformation this week but I don't have the patience to even tell you about them.  It's all aggravating but must be dealt with one step at a time - whether I get information or misinformation!

"Patience, persistence and perspiration make an unbeatable combination for success."  Guess all three will come into play, especially with so much misinformation to wade through.

I do have to give Walgreen's a little credit.  They are giving me a $25 gift card that will be applied towards my $75 co-pay and they made the appointment for me to go to their nurse on the other side of town next Wednesday.  Now I have 4 more days to dread the ordeal of getting a shot.

p.s.  It appears that "misinformation" is the politically correct term to use these days.  Heaven forbid that we should say someone was wrong!

5 comments:

tEE said...

A very frustrating tale--BUT JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU GO ON MEDICARE. MOST MEDIGAP POLICIES HAVE DRUG FORMULARIES THAT COVER ALL SORTS OF BIRTH CONTROL (???) BUT VERY FEW OF AN ELDERLY PERSONS SCRIPS. I AM GOING TO BE UP THE CREEK WITH 2 OF MY MEDS. ONE IS FOR MIGRAINES AND THE OTHER IS FOR ACID REFLUX. I AM CONSIDERING BUYING THEM FROM CANADA. IT IS REALLY SAD. IN THE MEANTIME, I HOPE YOU GET AN EASY SHOT FOR SHINGLES.

Beth said...

The worst thing about your experience is that it's become par for the course when dealing with insurance companies any more. The situation begs several questions: 1. Are any insurance companies' employees actually doing their jobs? 2. What kind of people are the companies hiring with our hard-earned money? 3. Does anyone really know what's going on? 4. Why have we, as a nation, allowed insurance companies to be in charge of vitally important medical decisions and to have our doctors and hospitals at their mercy? 5. How are we going to remove the insurance companies from power and allow those who have actual medical certification to make the critical decisions? Something has to give in regard to medical insurance and health care in this country. It's not only the cost, but also the "run-around" that the average person must go through in order to obtain even the most ordinary medical treatment.

I'll step off my soapbox now.

marymay said...

Tee, I have gotten meds from Canada in past years and it worked out fine.

Beth, I'd get on the soapbox with you but Ed's good on soapboxes and he's louder than the 2 of us together!

Clements' Adventures said...

Mary it sounds like everyday life. WHY !!! I've noticed everything take 3 times now to get one thing completed, WHY !!!
Why are there so many incompetent people working now a days? I agree with Beth........we could go on and on but it seems that is the way of life today. Among the frustrated. Jan

marymay said...

p.s. Mission accomplished. I got (shingles) shot today at Walgreen's shot festival.