Sunday, November 27, 2011

40 Years for Undersea Adventurers!!!

What a milestone.....my scuba club in Ft. Lauderdale celebrated 40 years of being an active diving club this month.  I joined in 1980.  How I treasure the memories made and cherish my many dive buddies.

Click on each photo for a larger version.

Dear Clare, Julie, and Russ,

Well, you three did it again! What a totally divine divers’ Reunion and Anniversary celebration you pulled off. 
The details you thought of were over the top.....  everything from having the numerous scrapbooks there WITH lamps so they could be seen, to professional looking table nametags, to newsletters, to really delicious food as provided by Ellie's Diner. 

MaryMay, Sue Revie, Tommy Younger, and Joe DellaFerra were impressed with the little tablets AND pencils on the tables for exchanging emails, etc. with friends.


The ongoing slide-show throughout the evening represented countless hours of scanning and organizing 40 years worth of photos.  

There were 90 people present and everyone was in the show more than once.  What a fine production it was! 

The “dive flag chairs”, red balloons, centerpieces of tiny red roses on mirrors, and tons of other decorations transformed an average room into one with festive ambiance.



Linda Ianniello and Robert Weybrecht have been active members for many years and have contributed greatly to the club.




Katie Scott and John Fusco now live in the Keys.  We share some special memories.  For example, John was the favorite speaker at my school's Career Day for several years.  He was a pet groomer and the kids loved him and the dogs he brought. 

Tommy Younger also was a speaker at Career Day as a scuba diver.  He's just a great guy.

Meeting Deborah Linker in person was a joy.  I've been reading her blog, Rocky Road Adventures, for some time now and I'm one of her "groupies" (followers).
The magician show was a surprise and it was "Las Vegas quality."  When I see magic acts on a big stage, I always feel there are tricks and hidden props we can’t see. However, when the guy is right there in front of you, it’s mind-blowing!
 I was convinced that wasn’t a real bird until he handed it to Marie. (I’m still not sure how many birds he had.) 
 The bunny in his grand finale was real, too!
 The Hall of Fame is composed of members who held an active office for 7 years.
 It is an honor for me to be a part of this group.  I served as promotions person, membership chairman, social chairman (with Alan Barrows, my deceased 1st husband), and secretary.

I won a door prize!!!  The
Revensburger puzzle, an underwater scene with 3000 pieces, is awesome.   Ed is figuring out where we can set it up to work. First we must find a roll-up puzzle mat so as to store it away from Pepper and Blanche (our kitties).  

 It is always joyful for me to be with Sue Revie, one of my dearest dive buddies.
Thank you, Julie, Clare, and Russ for planning and hosting a fantastically awesome 40th Anniversary and Reunion party for this magnificent Undersea Adventurers Dive Club! 

With admiration,
MaryMay (Barrows) Angelil

p.s.  I say that you saved the club from “going under” and disappearing several years ago. When I joined in 1980, there were about 200 members, a number which has waxed and waned through the years.  You’ve lured back long-term dive buddies and generated new members with an unbelievable variety of impeccably planned activities.   

Visit the club's website at:  http://www.usadiveclub.com/index.html

No comments: