Friday, September 4, 2009

Crazy for Cranberries

We visited a Cranberry Museum and farm here in Long Beach, WA. I had no idea how much I didn't know about cranberries!

Did you know that cranberries grow on vines that are evergreens? Did you know that they don't grow in water, the bogs are only flooded for harvesting?

Many people don't realize that the West Coast growers produce 25% of the country's total crop of cranberries. The cranberry vines were native to the area. Ocean Spray has a facility here in Long Beach and buys from the local farmers.

These vines do NOT grow in water. You can see the ditches where they flood the bog when it's time to harvest.
Now that I know they only harvest once a year in the fall, I'll be sure to buy a few bags for the freezer at Thanksgiving time. Then I can bake muffins and all sorts of wonderful cranberry foods...well, I used to cook! I do love cranberries!

No comments: