Monday, January 26, 2009

"Mary Upstairs"

I met Martha Casselberry when I started working at the Clothing Bank at church. She is a dynamo, very bright, very industrious and always speaks her mind. She and her hubby, Hibbard, moved into my condo during the time that Alan was getting very mixed up. We also went to a weekly Bible Study with the Casselberry's. They and the other members of the group were my family as I faced various decisions regarding Alan.

Hib and Martha have five children, one named Mary. So, when I'd call down for Martha, he'd say, "It's Mary Upstairs."........and that's how I got my name. He had a daughter from a first marriage named Mary Elizabeth but he had lost touch with her. Since my name is Mary Elizabeth and my father passed away in 1985, Hib and I adopted each other.

We shared many good and bad times with Martha and Hib and I really felt like part of their family. At first, when I started seeing Ed, Martha was clear that she didn't approve. However, as they got to know Ed and saw how good he was for me, she changed her mind.

Ed and I went to "my" church, Christ Church United Methodist, which was right across the street from our condo, on Christmas eve and the last 3 weeks. One Sunday, they had us to lunch at their retirement center, John Knox Village.....such an elegant place. Yesterday, we invited Martha and Hib to dine at our favorite restaurant, Sea Watch, which is right on the ocean. It was refreshing to discover that it is just the same as ever, with superb food and awesome ambiance.

No comments: