Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Marilyn - my long-time friend

My oldest....er, longest long-time friend in Ft. Lauderdale, Marilyn Keating, came over and we went to California Pizza for lunch. We talked for hours with great empathy for each other. Her parents are in their 90's and still around. Her dad's in a nursing home and her mother in assisted living. Marilyn is the child who lives the closest, so most of the visiting and paperwork is on her shoulders and has been for over 6 years.

Ah, but in spite of all our obligations, it was wonderful to be with Marilyn again. She was my next door neighbor when I first got married in 1979 and she's been to Virginia twice (in past years) to visit. Marilyn remembered Alan from her days of teaching at Dillard High School in the 70's because he was the only one who was nice to her......she was the only woman in the social studies department.

She was one of my rocks in dealing with a problematic step-daughter and in coping with Alan when he was diagnosed with Alzheimers. I say I owe her big bucks for all the free counseling throughout the years!

No comments: