Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Historic Day in the U.S.A.

I wish I could come up with some profound thoughts and observations about the Inauguration of Barrack Obama as our President today. Even though I can't find fancy words, I feel that it is all just amazing. I did like the phrase that we fight with "ballots, not bullets". Since I grew up right in the middle of The Civil Rights Movement in the 1960's, this day strikes me as a milestone in our nation's history. Who would have ever dreamed that a black man would be elected President?

.........one of the most oft-quoted sentences of his address: "Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and begin again the work of remaking America." Let us all pray that President Obama will be able to face the challenges before him with wisdom and success.

Barbara Walters is now talking about how the way the First Lady dresses reflects the tone of his Presidency. Roslyn Carter was critized for wearing a dress she had worn before - recycling. Nancy Reagon wore a dress that cost about $35,000 the first term and for the second term balls, her dress cost $65,000. Barbara says Michelle's style is much more obtainable and down to earth. I enjoy all those girly details.

Ed and I watched TV all morning, then went to his sister's house to watch the inauguration. Ed made us a nice salad for lunch and we just enjoyed being together. The temperatures are dropping quickly. It's down to 56 degrees, which is pretty chilly for Florida. For supper, we ate our baby back ribs left over from Flannigan's restaurant on Saturday night. It's nice and cozy here in our little RV nest. All in all, a good and special day.
Ed Angelil and his sister, Lorraine Barkett 1-20-09

No comments: