Monday, January 26, 2009

The Art Teacher

My friend, the art teacher, is Anita Orlando and her name comes up often when people ask how Ed and I met. I knew Ed from church and decided to fix him up with the art teacher at my school. She called one evening in tears because a friend had died and asked me to call Ed to cancel their coffee date and ask him to call back in about a month. When I called, we talked for a while and he said, "I'd like to take you to dinner sometime." I stammered that I couldn't, I was married. Then said that it would be nice to just have a male friend so it might be OK.

Ed and I both worked with the Clothing Bank at church on Wednesdays and that week we went for coffee after our work. Little did I know that that 20 minutes would change my life. He didn't know about my husband having Alzheimer's and being in a home. But he reacted very tenderly reaching across the table to pat my hand when I got a bit teary.

He invited me for a hamburger at his house after church on Sunday. I was boldly asking all sorts of personal questions - gathering information for the art teacher. Then we saw a movie together and started to realize there was a possible spark between us. The first several times we saw each other, we talked about the art teacher. After that, we talked about how we were going to tell the art teacher.

The next summer, Anita had a job downtown and I went to have lunch with her. She took me around the office and introduced me to various people. One gal said, "Oh, you're the one who stole her boyfriend before she even met him!"

Anyway, Anita said that it was "kismet" (destiny). She did meet Ed and they like each other but felt no chemistry. Ed and I still joke because he only likes tall blonds and I would NEVER be interested in a bald guy with glasses!

Back to the blog post.....Ed dropped me off on Las Olas Blvd. where Anita and I had lunch. As always, she's got all sorts of projects going from caring for her older sister, (who's been in the hospital for a month) and to going to New York this weekend. She and her IDENTICAL twin sister spent a month in Italy a few years ago.

It was a joy to be with the art teacher and I'm happy to report that she now has a wonderful boyfriend, Donny, who adores her.

Rita and Anita Anita had Rita at a party and it was weird...their voices, accents, and mannerisms are the same, so much so, that I got them mixed up!
Rita and Anita
Anita had Rita at a party and it was weird...their voices, accents, and mannerisms are the same, so much so, that I got them mixed up!

Anita & Rita (I think!)

No comments: