Saturday, July 9, 2011

Henfest in the Hen House.....er, Farmhouse

I am looking forward to the arrival of Anita (my sister from Ohio), Maribeth (my sister-in-law from Texas) and Shelley (Mom's sitter in TX, our now adopted sister) tomorrow.  We'll be busier than one-armed paper hangers as we clear out Mother's house in preparation for selling it!
This is my main sorting room.

I'm putting all sorts of "pretty things" together for selection and packing.
Anita thought we'd just take an evening to look through the family photos and split them up.  Little did she know there are tons of albums and boxes of photos.  It'll be challenging!  I've brought them to my house to try to get a start on them. 
Every time I think I've got them all, I find another whole box or album in some surprising place!
It's going to be a joy to have someone help make these many decisions.   I have a feeling, knowing the crew coming, that there might be a few laughs along the way.

Ed's was planning to head for the hills but we need him to cook for us!  

Let the hens begin!

2 comments:

Beth said...

You might consider converting your family photos to digital files and putting them on DVDs. That way, everyone could have 2 copies (1 for viewing and 1 for archives). Another huge benefit is that SO much less space would be needed for storage. My younger sister, Amanda, has begun converting all of our family's old slides and snapshots. She has a gadget that handles negatives and slides (maybe snapshots too). Those gadgets aren't so expensive any more. I've seen them advertised at Costco, Kohl's, and Belk. Wal-Mart and Target probably have them.

There are also businesses that will convert negatives, slides, snapshots, and movies to DVD for a fee. You need not have every single photo done--just choose the best ones or those that are most meaningful. I've taken some VHS tapes to Costco for conversion to DVD and was pleased with the result. I'm pretty sure Costco handles slides too. King Photo in Harrisonburg probably offers the same services. You might ask where the actual work is done, especially if you don't want the originals sent off.

marymay said...

Thanks, Beth. I've scanned a whole lot of pics (I'd like a faster scanner, though) and will put them onto a DVD for each of us. There were far more photos of Anita and her family so Maribeth and I took out some shots we wanted and Anita took the albums with her. Ed suggested that and it made such good sense.