Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Farmhouse Full

Since we lived way out in the country and weren't wealthy, we saved things and reused them, used them as parts to fix things or found new uses for them.  Another way to view it was that our family was ahead of the times in "going green." 
 
As I mentioned before, my grandparents moved here in 1920 so three generations have been filling up this farmhouse that has 5 bedrooms with a full basement, and enclosed front and back porches. (Almost 2500 sq. ft.)

Mother had rented out the house to a young couple because a house sitting empty isn't good at all.  In her mind, she thought she'd get better and be going back home one of these years.  (She did go but to a different home -- in heaven.)
She had thought the couple would just move in and use her things as they were.  Well, they had their own furniture so carefully packed up and stored her things in rooms upstairs, on the enclosed front porch and in the basement.

Since my bro and sis aren't nearby, I feel I need to use my summer months to get started because the farm and farmhouse will be sold.  This isn't something that can be rushed because there are many sentimental treasures there. 

For example, Mother saved report cards from elementary school for Daddy and us three kids.  Things like prom gowns, wedding dresses, letter jackets, Grandaddy's army uniform from WW1, Daddy's army uniform from WW2, 6+ sets of dishes and a gazillion photo albums are stored there.  What do we do with all those mementos that meant so much to us at the time and are part of our family history?  
It took our nearby cousins a whole year to sort out things after our uncle died and our aunt went into a nursing home and we hope to learn from their experiences.   They discovered that taking things to an auction or selling them at yard sales was a lot of effort with very little profit.

I can help organize but certainly can't make decisions for Anita and Phil so I'm calling them often.  Some things are obvious, such as all the empty mayonnaise jars in the basement -- already gone.  But, some of those old canning jars are antiques.  

I started with emptying drawers.  I've gotten most of the chests emptied and categorized things into "save", "donate" or "throw out" areas.  My days have become "one drawer at a time", which has helped me not be so overwhelmed.  Sometimes I chuckle to myself as I discover that Mother saved all the get well and birthday cards that were sent to her and Daddy for years.

It's a blessing that I'm retired and have time to work on this project.  What an opportunity to remember and reflect on the wonderful childhood we had.
We weren't wealthy but we were certainly very rich. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you do need to structure the work into "doable" tasks. I suspect that at a later date you will sort through the "Save" group and send much of it to another group. Be realistic about what you really want/need/can store.

In this digital age, coverting the photo albums to digital albums will allow each of you to have a copy of the photos ---- and will require much less space to store than the actual albums. About two years ago, I spent quite a while scanning my father's 35mm slides from the late 1940s & early 1950s so that I could give a copy to each of my brothers. Ditto for my father's 8mm film from 1950s although this spring I did hire a professional company to covert to DVDs. Guess what my brothers will receive this Christmas!

I'll be thinking of you as I tackle some of my own closets and drawers. Surely, I don't want to saddle someone else with sorting through these spaces.

Anne

Clements' Adventures said...

Hi Mary, What a job........but what a gift also. To reminisce over your family memoirs. Try to enjoy every moment because it's something you only do once (thank goodness) in a lifetime.
So sorry we didn't get together this past winter. However, we are coming through Virginia in August - I will call you before to see if we can get a visit in. Love and miss you both. Jan & Dave