Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Before and After Farmhouse Rooms

There's something about human nature that makes us enjoy seeing before and after photos, whether it be of homes, dieters, or makeovers.  It's almost therapeutic for me to see these particular comparisons because it makes it clear how very much we "girls" did accomplish during our whirlwind work week.
Click on each photo for a larger version.
BTW (by the way) we haven't cleaned yet so you might see some dirt --- shock, gasp!
What fond memories I have of the front porch, especially in the summer.  That's where we six May grandchildren hung out and played silly card games.
I also did a lot of sewing there, using the large window-seat as my work table.
I could kick myself for not taking a photo of Mother's room before we cleared it.....wouldn't you know, it was one of the lightest and prettiest rooms of all!  Anyway, it's certainly open and airy now.
The thing you can't see is that the closets are still full of beautiful clothes.  Anita insisted we keep the clothes because she wanted her daughters to go through them.  As I suspected, neither Ellen, the 29 year-old, nor April, the 24 year-old were keen on anything in there.  (This is one time I wish I wore a larger size....hmmm, let's rephrase that.... This is one time I wish Mother had worn a smaller size!)

The farmhouse is slowly getting cleared out.  Naturally, I'm bringing home a few things along the way -- especially photos.  Every time I think I've found them all, some more show up at odd places. 

Note to self:  Never store photos in a basement or in a shed that gets damp.  

I have such good intentions and am in the process of scanning them but it takes so LONG!  Hopefully, I'll have an "after" shot of this disgraceful desk one of these days!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM impressed! Job well done, Mary!! Keep working on the photos as you will so much enjoy sharing them with others.

Anne

Beth said...

I knew you'd have a Herculean job on your hands before seeing the photos. A week was a short time to accomplish all of that, even with everyone helping. All of you deserve a really good treat now.

I love the front porch! It looks like a wonderful place to relax with a good book.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the updates. I very much enjoy reading your blog. You should have been a writer. It is always so interesting and very well written. (just like a teacher!)

Had tears well up when I saw the farm house and all those memories I had as a child in that home.

Cousin Tammy