Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Still in the Horse-pital

I was admitted last Thursday evening and am STILL here!  A doctor who met with us last evening said that if this were a teaching hospital, he'd have a line of students to meet me and hear about my strange case.  Ed says they could use it as a storyline for House, the medical show on TV.

I started with a 102 fever for about 5 days two weeks ago, then temp started going up in the evenings.  I had some wild, strange rash which they thought was Lyme's disease but now are not sure.  Those tests were sent to a state board to be evaluated and results aren't back yet.  They put me on an antibiotic for that and the rash is almost gone.

My fever has come down the last day or so but not much change in my condition has taken place.  Basically, my large intestine has become paralyzed.  I've had daily X-rays, tests, etc.    I've had nothing to eat for 5 days, various enemas, etc. but there is still no "action."  My pain level has been very high for several days, as has my blood pressure.  They changed my pain med yesterday and that has helped some.

(I can't believe I'm telling this to the world.  Some days I have felt too bad to talk, which is why the internet is helpful and I've decided to tell all here.)  

My nurses have been really special and caring, as have all the lab people, etc.  There have certainly been a lot of doctors and they have coordinated with each other.  People have been so kind with cards, flowers and calls to Ed.    Hope to be back to the "land of the living" soon.

It's amazing how long a day can be with no meals to look forward to.  On the bright side, I've lost 9 pounds in 4 days!

2 comments:

Faith Histand said...

Hi Mary, I'm shocked! I had no idea you were going thru all this! I hope you're feeling better soon!, doesn't sound like any fun!!Let us know if you need anything!(although we'll be out of town this weekend). Hope you're back to normal soon!!

jeancallow said...

Mary,
I hope you're feeling better and those doctors know what's going on so they can fix you and send you home!