Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Home, Sweet Bed 'O Mine

I came home last evening after 13 nights in the hospital ..... walked in, laid down on the flat, soft, comfortable bed (Mind you, this means no plastic over the pillow under the thin pillow case, no plastic mattress or lumpy pad, no side panels with a "Call Nurse" button that keeps going off, even if you barely touch it) and just started crying.  Ed asked what in the world was the matter and I responded that it just felt soooo good to be home.

The doctors explained that this does not mean I'm well -- by any means.  It will probably take a few weeks for my bowel to settle and function.  In the meantime, I'll be more comfortable at home in my own bed -- and how! 

I work up with that all-too-familiar feeling that a Mack truck has mowed me down and squashed me -- especially my legs, the area between my shoulder blades and the bottom row of front ribs ache.  Neither flexeril (muscle relaxant) nor Tylenol help much at all;  but when one knows that's a normal part of Lyme disease, it's not as scary.


The doctor thinks the Lyme's Disease and the bowel "on strike" are related issues, after all.   

These symptoms are like my current fibromyalgia diagnosis and the mononucleosis pain that I had in college.  My mantra these days is, "This too shall.....or at least get better."

4 comments:

Ginny said...

Mary: Sorry to hear that you've had to endure so long in the hospital, but at least you seem to be making steady improvement. From a personal standpoint, I can attest to the nastiness of Lymes -- I was diagnosed well over a year ago and was on antibiotics for months. I'm not sure if the Lymes is gone or not since I'm not terribly reliable about going back to the doctor. However, I am working myself up to calling her office and making an appointment. I hope you're feeling better soon!!

Babs said...

Hey Mary,

I didn't know anything about Lyme's until you posted on FB. I hope that your recovery is steady, and that you are feeling better soon.
Barbara Bowman

marymay said...

Ginny, please do see your doctor. From what I'm reading, Lymes is something that doesn't go away that easily.

marymay said...

Dear Barbara,
Thanks for the get well wishes. I see you're FB friends with Marlin Burkholder. He's got a wicked case of Lyme disease and has educated himself thoroughly. His FB page and website are interesting.
Your cousin, MaryMay