Friday, June 19, 2009

Tête-à-tête in Costco

Life is made interesting by people we meet. Today in Costco, Ed and I were looking at laptop computers. A man standing nearby started asking us some questions about the best buy.

He introduced himself as Johnny Dorsey, a teacher from Franklin, West Virginia (about 50 miles away). He was so friendly and interesting.....it's incredible how much you can share in just an off-chance meeting.

Johnny will be entering his 40th year of teaching in Franklin. He's taught 5th grade in the very same classroom for all those years!!

He stayed at home and cared for his parents, who both died from cancer. Then he took care of his aunt, who also passed away. He never married and the thought of retirement is rather intimidating - what will he do? He's dedicated his life to teaching and being a caregiver so he hasn't developed many hobbies. He has done a bit of traveling (which I think is more fun if shared with someone) and does enjoy some church work.

He's only used the computer at school so wants to get his home computer set up, ready to surf the net after he retires. Johnny was so personable - my first impression made me start thinking of my many single girlfriends and which might click with him.....sorry, can't help it - I was single for many years and always appreciated friends fixing me up with someone.

I told him that I started teaching fifth grade and had thought that I, too, would teach fifth grade in a local school for many years. Instead I waltzed off to teach for 2 years near Charlottesville, VA, 7 years in Puerto Rico, and 23 years in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. We never know what life holds in store for us.

Ed talked to a clerk, asked lots of questions and pointed out several computers that would work for him. Anyway, it was a pleasant tête-à-tête with an intriguing guy!

No comments: