Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Bernie Madoff - Major Swindler

Yesterday "Bernard Madoff, the self-confessed author of the biggest financial swindle in history, was sentenced to the maximum 150 years behind bars for what his judge called an "extraordinarily evil" fraud that shook the nation's faith in its financial and legal systems and took "a staggering toll" on rich and poor alike...... The penalty sparked a burst of applause in a courtroom packed with victims of the fraud."

I'm relieved that Bernie Madoff didn't get off with a slap on the wrist. I've followed this story with great interest because I, too, could have been a victim. I invested some money with him on the advice of a friend from my church in Ft. Lauderdale, FL. (I hear some other members of my church also invested with him.) In a good year, I made 18% interest and even in a bad year, I was getting 12%. Lucky for me, I needed that money to build our house here in Virginia so I cashed out in 2002.

No comments: