Thursday, October 29, 2015

Monumental Memory Book

One of the most monumental tasks I've ever taken on was compiling a book for my 50th Class Reunion.  Classmates were asked to share what has happened in their lives since we graduated from Turner Ashby High School in Dayton, Virginia in 1965.

Some aspects were a bit beyond my computer skills so I met with the man in Savanna Club (my 55+ community in Florida) who runs our computer lab.  He showed me how to accomplish what I was after and encouraged me.
 
Next was getting people to send in their 300 word biography and a recent photo.  It was not an easy task to summarize 50 years in 300 words!  There were 150 class members with 30 deceased.  After nagging, nudging, and begging from me and others, we ended up with 76 contributions! 

This wasn't accomplished alone!  There were many people who helped me greatly and their help was invaluable. 
 
 I have shared the book with friends and relatives.  They have read every word, even if they didn't know the people.  I continue to be fascinated with what happened in people's lives AND in the variety of entertaining writing styles!!
 
 The evening of the reunion, Sue Shull-Miller, Mildred Funkhouser-Lynn and I checked people in, gave them their nametags, and gave them their book.
 
The high school photo and recent photo were included with each write-up. 
(If you want to read mine, click on it for an enlargement.)
 
Sometimes in life, we cannot help but be pleased with the result of hard work and effort.  This Memory Book is one of my most challenging projects ever.  I was delighted at how well it was received and appreciated.  Naturally, that made it all the more satisfying and worthwhile.

No comments: