Friday, October 16, 2015

Social Life in Virginia 2015

It is always a joy to share my home in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia with friends from out of town.  I sometimes find it very lonely and isolated but as I look back over the summer, I realize I had several guests and local friends this summer.
 
Jane Pinson, Diane Dickerson, MaryMay Angelil
Jane lives next door in Florida and is from Harpers Ferry.  Diane is her long-time nursing friend and has become my friend, too.
 
I call this group the "TA Girls."  Mildred Funkhouser-Lynn has kept this group of 1965 Turner Ashby graduates alive for many years.  They meet 4 times a year - sometimes there are 5 gals and sometimes 18  -  whoever shows up is welcome.  This summer we had dinner at the CrossKeys Vinyards.
 
My dear friend in Florida is Norma Pennie.  This is the second summer she has come for a visit!  It's always fun to show a city girl the country way of life.
 
My new local friend is Judith Stroop who lives in Singers Glen.  Sometimes you just "click" with someone and Judith is one of those people!
 
Marty Stover-Barlow, Linda Steele-Suter, and I got together and had lunch several times.  I enjoyed their company!
 
Marty Barlow volunteered to help me drive to Florida and it was a special time for us to get to know each other better.  We went on one of the local boat rides and enjoyed getting out see the local flora and fauna.
 
The time with my brother, Phil, sister-in-law, Maribeth, and nephew, Levi, and my various cousins were always fun.  I also enjoyed time spent with my friends from church.  I can't believe I didn't take any pictures of them.  Sometimes I get so wrapped up in the moment that I forget to get out my camera - but that's a "good thing"!
 
My summer wasn't quite so lonely this year, thanks to the company of family and friends.  It is challenging to "re-invent" myself as I learn to live alone.  Friends make such a difference in this process.

No comments: