Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Seasoned Traveler - Not so Seasoned After All

It became obvious yesterday that I hadn't flown for several years.  I had emailed the airlines to ask if I was required to bring my meds in their original bottles.  They replied in the form of a boiler-plate template with a link to their website.  I never found a clear answer to my question but I think you don't need original bottles for meds.

I studied the site overall but it quickly became obvious that I overlooked a few things. 

As I started into the security check area at our local Shenandoah Valley airport, they asked me if I had liquids in my carry-on.  I remembered a little bottle of liquid medicine and pulled it out.  

After my things went through the line, there was a table with a glass partition between me and the table.  I happened to notice that the the security (lady) officer had my carry-on open and was taking everything out.  That's when things started going downhill.  

She deemed that my little travel bottles of cosmetics were over 2 ounces.  She had a zip-loc bag in her hand and said I'd have to decide what I really needed and she'd have to throw the rest away.  I was horrified.......not my perfect- sized bottles that I'd traveled with for years!!!  They were like my old friends!

Thankfully, I turned around and saw Ed was there waiting to be sure the plane took off successfully, so I was able to give him the things that wouldn't fit into the zip-loc.  She did let my contact solution and sunscreen through because they could count as medicinal items.  A couple of times I started to reach across the glass partition and she'd sharply say,  "Don't touch that!"  Well, excuse me, Mam!!!

After dissecting and separating my cosmetics and CPAP machine, things were sent through the scanner again - separately.  By that time, most of the other passengers had gotten onto the plane.  I had to quickly stuff everything back.  (There was ample room because so many things got left behind).

As luck would have it, it was raining so I got damp in my dash to the plane.  Then, they wouldn't let me take my "carry-on on" (Hummm, words are funny aren't they?)  They gave me a claim ticket and when we got to D.C. they had everyone's carry-ons on a cart standing in the rain ready for us.  Oh, well, it was only water, right?

The best news was that I didn't have to go through security again because I was staying on the same airline for the leg to Dallas/Fort Worth.  Whew!

My brother, Phil, and nephew, Levi, were there to meet me at the United terminal.  The D/FW airport is one of the largest in the country!  It seemed like miles of traffic circles and loops with overpasses over us and underpasses under us but Phil easily found American Airlines, where we met Anita's plane. This is her first time in Texas so she enjoyed looking around on our 45 minute drive to Phil and Maribeth's house in Waxahachie.

It was frustrating to have so many of my "magic potions" (they "magically" turn me into a lovely, fair maiden) taken out of my "magic box";  however, I did end up with shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste and perfume.   Next time, the "magic potions" will go mostly into my checked luggage and I'll have my bare necessities in the trusty little zip-loc.

I thought I was being such a savvy traveler because I followed Maribeth's advice and wore backless sandals so as to avoid the aggravation of putting tie shoes on after the scan gate........however, I wasn't so smart or seasoned with other aspects of traveling!  

p.s. RV life was so much simpler.....sigh.....

1 comment:

Beth said...

You were SO fortunate that Ed was still there and could take the offending items home!