Friday, February 5, 2010

The Case of the Dining Chairs

This post is silly details so only read if you've nothing better to do.......

The house came with this lovely teak table and 4 chairs -- two with arms.It bothered me to no end that the chairs with arms wouldn't fit under the table. Also, the 2 armless chairs must have been bought at a different time because the fabrics are different from the armed chairs. In a used furniture store, we found a teak table with 6 armless chairs. I tried to buy just the chairs but they wouldn't split the set. The price of the table with the 6 chairs was about what you'd pay for one teak chair. Therefore, I couldn't pass up the deal.

To my eye, these chairs that tuck under the table's edge look much better. The color's not perfect but the fabric does have green palm trees which tie in with the green in the kitchen.
Meanwhile, I'm blessed with a teak armchair for each bedroom -- men need a place to tie their shoes and dump their clothes. The two plain chairs are our breakfast nook chairs until our order comes. Then I'll have a place to sit for my crafts.

The teak table that came with the chairs is a bit beat up but will be a great place to work on my shell projects. It opens out to 90" so we could have a BIG Thanksgiving crowd. I declare this to be a good buy, don't you?
One minor problem -- Pepper just LOVES the fabric on the chairs and I've caught that naughty girl scratching several times, in spite of the daily feliway spraying.

1 comment:

Beth said...

There's nothing better to do today because we're still having a blizzard. I also dislike chairs with arms that won't go under the table. You should be able to re-cover the new chairs fairly easily. Having odd chairs to put in the bedrooms is great. You can bring them out if you have a lot of people for dinner. Have you tried bitter apple spray as a deterrent for Pepper? It's sold at Petco and PetSmart. Some people use water in a squirt gun to deter cats.