Monday, February 15, 2010

Almost-Free Phone Service

Our cell phone doesn't always work here in our new-to-us Florida home. There is often poor reception and calls get dropped. Perhaps that's because we're 1.7 miles from the highway in the front and there's a preserve and a river behind us.

Ed's been seeing this magicjack gismo in Wal-mart for quite a while and researched it. We bought one this week and it seems to be working fine........er, the jury's still out on this -- I had trouble with calls breaking up and my brother said on his end I was muffled and breaking up, plus the call dropped.

The magic jack is plugged into the computer. Then we use a regular telephone and we can move anywhere in the house. We bought a cordless phone that has two handsets -- the 2nd one has a base only.


If someone calls when you're not at home, you get an email that shows who it was and their number. You can click on the email and it'll call them. How cool is that??!!


The one thing that isn't available is a setting to let it ring more than 4 times and they're working on that. They also say that you should have another phone available in case you need to call 911.

The long distance is unlimited! So far, so good???.....not so fast....will report later on this. Ed declares it works perfectly for him so it must be something I'm doing that makes it not work right.

Leave it to Ed to come up with the latest gadget, huh? One drawback for me is that I'm still struggling to remember our new address. Now I have to learn a new phone number, too. Oh, my poor feeble, fibro (fibromyalgia) brain!

1 comment:

yrdsale4me said...

Has Ed made any long distance calls yet so you can compare your experiences with the new phone service?

Also, please let me know your new address in case I need it while you're there.