Monday, December 7, 2009

CHANGING GEARS FROM RVing TO...

Ed's decided he's had enough RVing. I make no bones about the fact that I'm not ready to sell but I can't drive it nor can I do all the sewer and electric set-up and maintenance involved or hook up the tow car.

We made this big trip out West, knowing that Ed does have lung cancer and we made the most of each day. Things appear to have stabilized with his cancer so we're not feeling quite so frantic. That gives us time to take things a bit more slowly.

He reminds me that he's 12 years older than me and he's tired of all the driving and the work the RV requires. He doesn't want to have to go empty the "black tank" (from the bathroom) any more.

He's ready to find a place where he can come for the winters here in Florida.
When you RV, you meet friends but you move on and they move on. He's ready to come to a place where you meet up with the same people every winter and establish some friendships.

I suggested we could keep the RV, store it in the RV shelter he built in Virginia during the summer, and come to the same RV park each winter. He explained that it would be foolish to try to maintain a diesel engine and all the other components of an RV. Those things need to be run and used to keep them in good shape. Driving from Virginia in the fall and back in the spring would not be enough to keep it working properly.

Most of all, he's tired of living in 400 square feet. To me, it's still a convenient playhouse!

So, it is with sadness that I let you know that the plan is to sell the RV and buy a small manufactured home here in Florida.

I am pleasantly surprised that there are very nice places ranging from 1200-1600 square feet, some fully furnished, for reasonable prices. We've looked at some places in Stuart, Hobe Sound, and Port St. Lucie on the east coast (that's north of the congestion of Ft. Lauderdale, yet there are still palm trees.) We saw some places on the west coast in Ft. Myers last winter and plan to go explore there, too.

So, it looks like we will be saying, "A revoir, RV and
bonjour, abode in Florida."

2 comments:

Beth said...

Look on the bright side--you'll have fun decorating the new place. I hope you'll still come back to VA for the summers.

Tee said...

I know you must have mixed feelings about this change. The longer I live the more flexible I try to be. I will miss the RV blog--but now there will be a home-based blog. I am thinking of you both.