Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Painless Party Preparation

We love to have people over but with cancer slowing Ed down and fibromyalgia slowing me down, it seemed overwhelming. One day an idea popped into my mind. About 2 years ago, I ran into Christie Rhodes at Costco. (Christie and Linden have rented Mother's farm for many years.) She was buying tons of food and I learned that she and her sister do some catering.

I called her and ended up with with a fantastic result. Christie usually serves 50-200 people, so doing a private small party was a new venture. We discussed the menu several times and came up with the most scrumptious meal you could imagine. She stopped by on Friday to get my serving dishes.

Ed made a pork roast and Christie made the rest. Promptly at 6:00 p.m. on Saturday she, with the help of her sons, delivered hot food.
We had lima beans (fresh from her garden) with mushrooms, a potato casserole, a broccoli salad, oatmeal rolls, a tomato salad, homemade peanut butter pie and homemade apple pie.

Some of the comments included: "These are the BEST limas I've EVER eaten." "Real potatoes do taste better than boxed ones, don't they?" "These rolls are so moist!" The broccoli salad spoke for itself....I noticed that when everyone got seconds, they all took more broccoli. "Those tomatoes are to die for, if you find out what spices she used, please tell me!" The pies were just mouthwatering and most people had a piece of each. Sunday at church one of the guests said that that was the best food he's eaten in ages...ditto for me!


There are 4 couples in Singers Glen that we really enjoy, even though we don't get together very often. Dick and Linda Heatwole couldn't come but those who did were Hunter and Mary Margaret Hollar, Mike and Deb Frank, and Clarence and Deane Geier. It was one of those "a good time was had by all" gatherings! I had my camera ready and plumb forgot to take pictures....shame on me.


The best part was that we ate extremely well and all the dirty pans were at Christie's house!! Thank you, Christie! p.s. Christie is looking for ways to earn some extra money. She can cook and would also be available to clean or do other things. So, if you're needing some help you can let me, her agent, know!

3 comments:

yrdsale4me said...

Your party must have been a hoot! Not having to cook or clean the pots and pans probably made it that much better.

I can attest to the fact that Christie is a wonderful cook and a very nice person. We both used to belong to a moms' group when our kids were small. I regret that we haven't seen each other much since all the kids started school.

Tee said...

Wish Larry and I lived closer to you and Ed. The menu sounded wonderful--as well as the companionship.

marymay said...

Yes, Tee, I think you and Larry would fit right in here!