Saturday, April 19, 2008

Life Has Lumps Sometimes

Like a good girl, I had my yearly mammogram a few weeks ago. A week later I got a letter and a call from my doctor saying there were some suspicious "lumps". I went to the hospital for a Diagnostic Mammogram on Thursday. After the first film, I started feeling light-headed and asked for ammonia. It didn't help any that this test squished me even harder than a normal mammogram. The technician had me sit on a tall chair for the rest of the pictures and it was all I could do to get through it. I had tried to tell myself that this was "nothing" but I think my body's reaction showed more how I really felt.

A few minutes later, Dr. Norris, the doctor reading the film, came in. He said the suspicious area showed up and he wanted to do a biopsy. I told him I was "allergic" to pain so he said he'd give me some Zanex ahead of time to help me cope. Meg, the coordinating nurse, called me at home and we set up the appointment. She was very descriptive and the whole procedure sounded awful. I had a very rough night with not much sleep.

Ed took me to the hospital Friday morning at 9:30. Meg, the nurse, was very supportive and understanding since she'd had 3 biopsies herself. (We later learned she had cancer, surgery, chemo, etc. But she was determined to get back to normal life. She's perfect for this job.)

While in the nurses' area signing the 2,000 forms, there was a nurse who looked familiar to me. I asked her name and before she finished saying it, I knew who she was. Sandi and her husband, Charlie Collette were in my scuba club in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida! They moved up here 5 years ago to Briery Branch, which is about 15 miles from Singers Glen. Charlie was a boat captain, has retired, AND they now have a motor home! Everyone was entertained listening to us discuss the various people we remembered.

Then, it was time for the biopsy. The machine is in a large van, shared by several hospitals. I was on a table on my stomach with my poor boob hanging down through a big hole. They REALLY squished, squashed, and squeezed to take more films from various angles. They decided which shot gave the best view and then clamped down hard in that position.

About the time Dr. Norris started giving me the Novocaine shot and inserting the "tube", through which he withdrew tissue, the nurses started asking me about scuba diving and had me chattering through it all. I told them that I thought they squeezed me to give me so much pain that I hardly noticed what the doctor was doing. I was on the table about 20 minutes. Dr. Norris said the lump seemed smaller than he had expected and he didn't think it was cancerous. If it is, they've caught it very early so can nip it in the bud.

Ed brought me home and I slept all afternoon. Today I feel weak - like limp spaghetti - and my poor squished boob is tender. But it's over. Now I just have to wait till Tuesday evening for the results. Breast cancer does not run in my family so I'm reminding myself of that. At least the biopsy is behind me.

Never again will I think, "Oh." when someone tells me they had a biopsy. Lumps are lumps, wherever or however they appear in our lives.

1 comment:

JeanieB said...

Yes, Mary, I am enjoying your blog! Makes me want to work on mine more, if I get a break from my gardening. Your RV looks wonderful. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you await results of the biopsy.
Lois