Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Built Upon the Sand

Do you remember the kid's song about the wise man who built his house upon the rock and the foolish man who built his house upon the sand?  The rock stood strong but the sand (and house) washed away.

That's exactly what was happening with my house in Florida.  There were a few places along the base of the house where a hole would develop.  I hired different handy men to add rock, mulch, and even a metal plate to stop the caving in.

But the holes came back even larger and new ones developed.  I knew it was time to take action.  Gary and I talked to a company who was fixing my neighbor's house with that very problem last year.  Gary wisely took a photo of their work truck so we had their number.


Our houses are brought in on wheels, then the wheels are taken away and the house is propped up on concrete blocks.
 
A barrier along the  bottom edge of the house was set up using concrete but the concrete had disintegrated.
Front
 It made me tired just to see these men work.  There was a LOT of digging required.
 
 
Side
 
            
Back
 They slid flat metal down the sides, then installed this white skirting which has holes for ventilation. 


 
Let me guess...aren't you curious how much this cost?  Let's just say I kissed $7,500.00 goodbye. 
 
 
I do believe that, even though my house is still built upon the sand, it is much stronger than before.  
 
Hopefully, this will hold up for as long as I own this house!

No comments: