Friday, October 16, 2020

The Wedding Dinner for Gary and Mary Suter

.......On to celebrate our wedding with a delicious dinner.

Once again, we surely had no problem with social distancing and the room was lovely. 

We had to set up our seating chart with no more than six at a table.  I didn't realize how tricky a table arrangement can be.  But, as expected, our friends and family are all very accommodating so there were no problems (that we knew of).

Gary welcomed everyone to the dinner.

Next, the best man, Winston Weaver, gave a toast for the groom.  He shared some fun experiences he and Gary had when they were young.  They met at Eastern Mennonite High School and have been friends all these many years.

Much to my surprise, Krista gave a Bridal Toast for me.  She told some things about my life.  Even my family had forgotten about some of them such as, my year in Australia, my travels in the Orient and South America, my 7 years in Puerto Rico, my 23 years in Ft. Lauderdale, and traveling cross-country in an RV.  Becoming a scuba diver was one of my greatest personal achievements.
 
Krista is well aware of my new adventures with Gary, from cross-country road trips in a caravan of hot rods, to Sunday dinners at DQ with the "Mennonite Corvette Club," to Suter dinners, to cruises with Krista and Cheryl, and to buying an apartment with Gary at VMRC (Virginia Mennonite Retirement Community). 

She wished me many more adventures and said,  "Welcome to the Family."  I was deeply honored.  Thank you, Krista!
 

Before long, up jumped my brother, Phil May.  He mentioned several things and told how he, as a baby, couldn't pronounce "Mary Elizabeth" so he called me "Beeba" and he called Anita "Neena."
 
 NOTE: Let me mention here that I have a very cheeky Cornish Rex kitty who likes LOTS of attention.  Blanche Devereaux is her name (after the character on The Golden Girls).

Then along came my sister, Anita May Krull, who stole the show!  She talked about some advice that our mother might have given for my first night with Gary.  She was quite dramatic with her 5 points. 

1.  Put on a sexy nighty.
2.  Have a candle burning.
3.  Have romantic music.
4.  Wear your best perfume.
and......
5.  PUT--THE--CAT--OUT!!   
 Then, came the scrumptious dinners, with choices of a porkchop, pan-fried Rockfish, or roasted chicken.  Many people told us how good the food was - and it was hot!  We agreed that Hotel Madison did a great job with everything. 

On to the real Star of the Show - The CAKE!
It seemed like most every guest took a picture of our cake and the real "icing on the cake" was that it tasted as good as it looked.

It came from the Heritage Bakery and Café in downtown Harrisonburg.

We did the traditional cake feeding. 

Naturally, I had to ask Mr. Google about the cake-feeding tradition: "This cute kindness is a sweet symbol of commitment to provide for one another, showing each other their love and adoration."


I will say one thing for certain -- I do love and adore my wonderful husband, Gary Lee Suter, and I can tell that goes both ways.
 
 On to our guests....

No comments: