Thursday, September 27, 2012

Yom Kippur 2012

My friends, Bobbie and Ron Steinberg (the ones who visited us in Virginia last year -- Childlike Enthusiasm for Cows) invited me to their home in Savanna Club to celebrate Yom Kippur last evening.  I call them my "homies" because they're like family.

Yom Kippur, also known as Day of Atonement, is the holiest day of the year for the Jewish people.  It is a day for fasting and repenting from the sins of the previous year.  Traditionally this holy day is observed with a 25 hour period of fasting and prayer.
Bobbie, Sheila, Suzanne, Allen, George, Howie, Benay, MaryMay, Ron, and Larry
I had gingerly tasted lox and bagels and herring in sour cream before.  This time, I ate them with gusto and thoroughly enjoyed them, along with all the other trimmings. 
When I taught in Ft. Lauderdale, I always enjoyed having holidays for Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur.  Now it's nice to know the meaning of these holidays.   

Gmar Chatimah Tovah! (May you be sealed in the Book of Life for a good year).

p.s.  Correction:  Last week at Rosh Hashana, Bobbie was the one who made the kasha varnishkes.

No comments: