Sunday, August 26, 2012

Willis Reunion - Sharing my Great-Grandmother's Journal

I found a journal written in 1864 by my great-grandmother, Bessie Hiter Willis when she was 13 years old.  I dressed in costume and presented excerpts from the journal at the Willis Family Reunion on August  12, 2012.  (There were about 140 people present.)
Cousin Talia Moser with her "Great-Grandmother Bessie Hiter Willis"
How can I begin to write about one of the most positive, intense experiences of my life?  

First, I was too busy living "in the moment" to take photos and so were cousins Bill and Corty Freeman.  Keep in mind, it wasn't my costume or me that captivated the audience.
Corty Freeman and MaryMay Angelil

I practiced with my brother, Philip, the week before and he gave me some good coaching on pacing and expression.  I was careful to speak directly into the mike so everyone could hear. 

Before I began, I reminded my family that "this is REAL," then "transformed" myself into Bessie Hiter Willis, age 13.

You know how, in most any audience setting, there's always a little movement, shuffling, and a bit of coughing?  That did NOT happen during my 23 minute presentation!  People seemed spellbound by our great-grandmother's words.
Explaining that the journal was the size of half a notebook paper.  The 1864 portion was loose papers but were, thankfully, numbered.  The 1873 portion was pinned into a booklet with straight pins.
I was so nervous but was determined to convey her thoughts.  I was embarrassed that I got emotional a few places but got feedback later that the tears made it all the more poignant. 
********************************************
The excerpts I chose from the l864 portion of the journal were about how the Civil War affected Bessie's everyday life and about her older brother who went off to war at 17 but was dead of typhoid in just two months. 

Bessie's final statement in this first portion of the journal was quite perceptive for a 13-year-old girl.

"April 29, 1865    
General Lee surrendered on April 9, 1865 to the Yankees.  Lincoln was murdered in the theater in Washington on April 15th.  Andy Johnson is now President of the United States. 
The Yankees, so far, have been lenient to the people of VA.   How I do hope somebody would ruin the Yankees.  They acknowledge that they did not whip us, they overpowered us.  All this for nothing."

********************************************
From the 1873 part of the journal, I chose some of the ROMANCE entries!  

"January 5, 1874  
Have refused E.H.W. twice.  For good.  ...But why should it trouble me? ...I should think if I was in love with him, I'd know it."   (E.H.W was Eugene Harrison Willis, who became our great-grandfather.) 

"July 26, 1874 
He says his feelings have not changed and that he loves me more than ever before....but wants to know if there is any hope for him.  I knew not what to say." 
The journal ended in 1874 with Bessie being offered two teaching positions.  This was a real cliff-hanger!!!

However, things moved along because two years later they had their first son....and after that 8 more children!
********************************************
Philip helped me write the closing, which I thought was rather good:
"Speaking to you as Mary May Angelil....my great-grandmother's journal gave me unique insight into who I am and from whom I came.    When someone dies, we usually only know them through pictures and things written ABOUT them.
Today we have had a real and special glimpse into our great-grandmother’s life through her very own words. She was born in 1850 and died in 1923. This was Bessie Hiter Willis."
 Just think, all this from a little old shoebox!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful event at which to share your great-grandmother's journal. I an NOT surprised that the audience was spell-bound.

Anne

Beth said...

As Anne commented, it's not at all surprising that your audience gave you their rapt attention. You've given your relatives a very special gift! Be sure to take steps now to preserve that journal for generations to come.

P.S. It's interesting that your great-grandmother was a redhead too!