Thursday, August 23, 2012

Willis Reunion 2012 - Unique Setting


I showed you in my last post an outside view of the barn where The Willis Family Reunion was held. 

(Thanks to Cousin John Moser for the photos in this post.)



The inside was a very unique setting for a meeting and lunch.  

This is a real "live horse" barn!


Betty Long inherited Locust Hill Farm, which has been in the Willis family for 148 years. 
 

Here Michael and Betty Long welcome the family to their home.
This barn, if I understand it correctly, was built fairly recently and is a state-of-the-art equestrian facility, Locust Hill Equestrian Center.
Somewhere I saw a write-up about this style of rafters and the type wood used, but can't locate that piece.
During the program, the horses were just quietly listening with a snort now and then.

They were friendly to young and old.




Cousins Werter Willis and Kat Stoneman were co-presidents this year.  There is a lot of planning and organizing that goes on behind the scenes for this reunion, which is held every 2 years.
After the program came the potluck picnic luncheon, featuring brown sugar pie like my mother used to make and other great Southern dishes. (Mmmm)!

Until the next post:

4 comments:

Beth said...

I've never seen such a beautiful, clean barn.

What a spread--that's not your average potluck!

Do you have the recipe for Fran's brown sugar pie? I've never heard of that before and would like to see the ingredients.

Anonymous said...

Tell more about the brown sugar pie. For years I've looked for the recipe for the "Hard Time" pie my maternal grandmother made. I suspect that it was made with staples from the pantry as it had no fruit and was clear in color rather than white or brown. The top was sprinkled with nutmeg and/or spices. Does this sound familiar?

BTW, the barn is lovely, especially the rafters. Please share info re wood, etc. when you locate it.

Anne

Anonymous said...

Now why didn't my comment show? I, too, want more info re brown sugar pie. I've been looking for a couple of years for the recipe for Hard Time pie, which my maternal grandmother made. It was clean (not white) and did NOT contain nuts or fruit although nutmeg and perhaps some other spices were sprinkled on the top. Any idea as to the recipe for this taste from my childhood?


Please post info re the wood & design of the horse barn as it is such a handsome structure!

Anne

marymay said...

Brown sugar pie is sort of like pecan pie without the pecans. Only for diehard sweet toothers!

Brown Sugar Pie - Frances May
3 c. brown sugar
6 TB butter
1 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
1 c. cream or milk
1/2 tsp salt
Mix well. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 450 for 10 min, then 350 for 25 min.