Monday, January 30, 2012

Moving More, Mostly

Does this sound familiar?  "My New Year's resolutions are to lose weight and to exercise."  Yep, as with MANY folks, that's my mantra AGAIN this year but this time I am determined to "just do it!"
"Movement is a medicine for creating change in a person's physical, emotional and mental states."  ~Carol Welch

One of the main focuses in Weight Watcher's to help with weight loss is to MOVE MORE.   I have to tell you that I do NOT like exercise and have never found anything that I could stick with.  Also, the pain from my fibromyalgia is always there.  Nevertheless, I started at Curves a few weeks ago.

Thanks to my scuba dive buddy and friend, Chris Guld, Curves sounds realistic for me.  As she said, "You're in and out in 30 minutes." 

Some things I like so far are that it's only women (no men to gawk at you), it's 30 minutes, it's very near our house in Florida, the workout includes cardiovascular and resistance training, and the background music is peppy.  
Another motivator is that it's covered by my health insurance under the Silver Sneakers program.  As long as I go at least twice a week, it's free!!

The set-up is a circle of alternating machines and platforms.  You do a machine for 30 seconds, the PA system tells you when to move on, you stand on a little square platform and jog or move 30 seconds, then move to the next machine, etc.
  
Sally is our trainer.  She stays busy at teaching newbies and making sure we don't slide into bad habits by using a machine incorrectly. 

I notice she doesn't bug people though. 


Let's work on those "bat wing" upper arms, OK?
You can see by my "bed-head" hairdo that whenever I wake up, I just get up, put on my clothes, and GO.












It's Cool Down Time
If the beach scene on the wall is to help us feel like we're somewhere else, then I've got news for them --- it ain't working for MaryMay!
In closing, let me quote Anonymous, who said, "The only exercise some people get is jumping to conclusions, running down their friends, side-stepping responsibility and pushing their luck."  Here's hoping I can do better than that in 2012.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I've heard good things about Curves. It's a real bonus that membership is covered by your insurance! Having a place to exercise that's out of the weather and bug-free makes it a little easier to get there regularly. Please be extra careful on the stations that work your main trouble spots. You may find that you need to do less (such as 1/2 the time) or skip those stations altogether, at least for a while.