Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Shoebox Surprises

In going through things from Mother's farmhouse, I came across a little old shoebox that obviously came from Mother's home in Dobson, N.C.  

What a wealth of surprises!


An invitation to the wedding of my maternal grandparents in 1915.  Fox Neck was the name of the family home, which is near Lignum in Culpeper County, VA.
The wedding write-up in the newspaper.
List of wedding gifts - maybe the ones marked are those who had been sent thank you notes.
Then the 1916 telegram welcoming Uncle Robert, the first child for Bessie and Bob Freeman (Grandmother and Grandaddy Freeman).
 
Granddaddy Freeman's schedule cards from law school at the University of North Carolina in 1911.
Ration Book from WWI

 



"To Do" lists have been around for many years.  

I recognize Grandmother Freeman's handwriting on this list.









The Most Exciting Surprise in the Shoebox!
I'm so glad I took the time to look at these loose sheets.  I almost moved on but once I saw the date of 1864, I was intrigued.  These were written during the Civil War by my great grandmother when she was 14 years old!!  Maybe I can publish and make my millions???
Millions or not, I think this will be of interest to the members of the Willis family AND their reunion is next summer in Culpeper.

My great grandmother (the "journal" writer) was Betty Young Hiter. 

She married Eugene Harris Willis and was later called Bessie, as in "Bessie Hiter Willis."  

My red hair came from my father, my Aunt Lib, Grandaddy Freeman, and now I've discovered another ancestor with red hair -- Bessie Hiter Willis.   More on Bessie Hiter Willis later.....

Who would have guessed what great surprises could come from one small shoebox!

2 comments:

Beth said...

Neat stuff! I can't wait to read more.

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this! My mother in law is a Willis. Your great grandfather is my husbands 1st cousin (of course several times removed!)
Thank you for posting this!