Thursday, February 24, 2011

Jumping for Joy - NOT!

We went to Ft. Lauderdale for a few days and stayed with Ed’s sister, Lorraine Barkett and her hubby, Ray.  Had a nice visit and shopped a little. The shopping was not exciting like when we visited from Virginia because we have any store you can think of right here in Port St. Lucie.  
 
Yesterday I visited Martha and Hib Casselberry, my dear friends.  (We used to live in the same condo.)  Then I had lunch with Marilyn Keating, my special friend for over 30 years.  As we were leaving to visit my friends, I fell as I was taking the one step down into Lorraine’s garage.  My ankle swelled but I went to see my friends anyway.  
 
We had already planned to come home last night because I wanted to go to lunch with my Red Hatters today.  We decided to stop at the ER to get an X-ray, just to be sure......
 
Well, my ankle is broken.  I now have a big splint on it from the foot to above my knee.  I had no idea how difficult using crutches would be!  No ladies’ luncheon for me today!  
 
They put a splint at first to accommodate the swelling.  If they put a cast  on immediately, when the swelling goes down, the cast is too big.  So, I’ll be seeing an Orthopedist in the near future to get a cast. 
 
Chalk it up as just one of those freak accident/weird happenings.  Needless to say, I won't be jumping for joy any time soon!
 
P.S.  We were pleasantly surprised and amazed at the ER care at St. Lucie Medical Center.  I was registered, examined, had an  X-ray and got the results within about 20 minutes!

3 comments:

Tee said...

So sorry to hear that you won't be jumping anytime soon. I hope it was a clean break --and that all goes well.

marymay said...

Thank you, Tee!

Beth said...

I'm very impressed by your fast ER visit, but am really sorry you had to break your ankle in order to find out! I heartily second Tee's wish for a smooth healing process for you.