Monday, August 17, 2009

Rocky Mountain "Hi" = A Harrowing Highway

We are sooooo glad we stopped in Sheridan, WY last evening. The 148 mile ride today coming to Cody, WY was a hair-raising, horrific, harrowing trip. Our first climb up a Rocky Mountain was quite an introduction to what lies ahead. The road was only a 2 lane highway and there was no room to spare.

I was on the outer lane most of the way up and there was no guard rail........Mona May, you told me to buy C-bands for motion sickness -- I want to know if they make anti-fear-bands for situations like this.
I don't have pictures of that because I was too busy leaning inward to help us keep from going over the side.

I was sort of calming down when we came upon a sign that said, "Pavement ends here" and it DID! That's what the

highway department must have done to make sure I was harrowed as much as possible. At the highest area the elevation was 8,300 feet above sea level. (Our home in Virginia is 1,150 feet.)

We stopped at a small Visitors' Center where we started to descend. There was a small, yet raging waterfall. We both got a bit winded coming back up the steps from the trail. Even the elevation of 6,000 feet was enough to affect our breathing (or maybe that's an excuse for being out of shape).



Pepper watched the scenery for a while from her bed on the dash.




Then she decided, "Ho, Hum, that's enough of that. It's naptime."


We're now all set in Absaroka Bay RV Park for four nights. That gives us time to explore this area, chill out some, and
proceed to our reserved site in Fishing Bridge RV Park on August 20th.

1 comment:

yrdsale4me said...

I'm enjoying the temperature comparisons between where you are and here! The map feature is also great.