Friday, August 28, 2009

Passport Problems

We've had several problems with our passports. When we went to our safety deposit box to get them, we discovered that Ed's expired at the end of July. Mine was up to date because when we were in Montreal a few years ago, it was stolen and I got a new one.

Ed went to great lengths to jump through all the hoops for his passport, which is Canadian. There was no indication how it would be sent out but we assumed it would be the mail, which would then go to our mail-forwarding agent. Turns out it was sent by FedEx, so naturally we weren't home and it was returned to Canada. Wednesday, he talked to someone in Canada and we were amazed that his passport arrived to our RV park Thursday morning.

These biggest surprise of all was when the gal from Canada called about a half hour later to be sure the passport had arrived. Can you imagine OUR "gummint" making a follow-up call like this?


Meanwhile, I carefully brought my passport and put it in a safe place in the RV -- I thought. Well, actually, it was in such a safe place that not even I could find it. I called dear Jim Bowman to check a couple of places at home.....no luck. I searched daily for over a week. Finally, I found it Thursday.

The good news is, we will be able to go over to the city of Victoria on Vancouver Island in British Columbia. The next challenge is to figure out how and when to go. Taking the RV turns out to be the most expensive and inconvenient way. To be continued.....

No comments: