Friday, October 7, 2022

My Blue-eyed Blanche Was a Blessing

 
My blue-eyed Blanche brought bundles of blessings to all.   
She crossed the rainbow bridge and is now in heaven getting to know lots of kitties and looking for a man's lap. 
(Click on any pic for an enlargement.)

This week is a sad time in the Suter household.  I had to part with my Blanche who was such a special little "person" in my family. She was over 17 years old and I had her for about 12 years.   

Blanche was a show cat so she was handled a lot when she was young.  That made my life easier because I could sit her on my lap to trim her claws and she rode in the car with no car-sickness.  She just slept on my lap for the whole trip to and from Florida.

She stopped eating over a week ago.  I took her to the vet last week and her blood tests looked good.   I had discovered that Blanche had lost one of her 2 remaining teeth so we thought the not eating might be related to that.  I tried soft food, wetting her food, and the vet even gave me a tiny jar of baby food.  She sniffed it and - NO -  she wasn't having any part of that!  The vet gave her a shot of antibiotics and an appetite stimulant. 

Meanwhile, she was going about her usual schedule, coming out talking in the morning when we let her out of the office.  She took her usual naps, some in the "doghouse" bed in the living room and some in her bed in the office.  Whenever I laid down for a nap, she came and slept on me or between my legs.

I had another vet appointment on Wednesday and knew what needed to be done.  She was down from 5.3 pounds to 3 pounds.  I had taken a nice box for her.  Gary had kidney stone surgery the day before and I was NOT letting him dig!  The ground was soft due to recent rain so I dug the hole and buried her in the back yard of Gary’s house beside a couple of his pet dogs.  


She was such a vocal little being!  We are in a Zoom Bible Study group with my church in Florida.  They got used to seeing and hearing Blanche.  Here's a pic of the group.  Notice that Blanche is sitting on the back of the sofa - once she had us organized and set up, she paused for a bath.

 

  We got her because our Cornish Rex kitty, Pepper, seemed lonely.

 

 For a while, it was touch and go,
but finally they became good friends. 


Some of these photos make me think of the yin and yang symbol.

When we drove to and from Florida, we had a carrier available but they rode most of the way on my lap.  I bought an SUV style car so we could put a litter box in the back that they could access. 

 Here are some things I learned from Blanche:


If you've been naughty, put yourself into Time Out!

   
If there's sun and a soft blanket, take advantage of it!



 

  If you see a soft place, claim it!

 

   If a friend gives you a scratcher, you can hide in the "valley" area to feel safe.


  Or, you can sit on it and be King (Queen) of the Hill!

 


  If you want to see what's in the cabinet, go look.

 

 

 

 
If you want to get warm, find a warm spot and enjoy it.

 


If you want to play on the cat tree, do it but be sure to get the upper hand.

 

 

 


If you're not sure about something, study it carefully.



 Do you know why we have placemats?
  So you can know where your place is!

 

If friends come over, snuggle with them.

 

 

 



If friends don't respond,then DEMAND their attention!


Blanche's name on her birth certificate was Blanche Devereaux after the character on the Golden Girls TV show.  Blanche really lived up to her name and was a flirt with men!

She adopted Gary, for sure!

  My beautiful, blue-eyed Blanche brought bliss and bushels of blessings to my abode.  I will miss her forever and ever. 

This is her portrait from when she was a show cat.
Blanche won championships because of her soft wavy coat, her big blue eyes, her big ears, her seal-point coat pattern, and her charming, alert disposition.

Rest in peace, my lovey-dovey kitty cat.

October 21, 2022
Note:  It's been over two weeks without my sweet Blanche.  It almost gets harder because our apartment is so quiet.  I didn't realize how much she talked!  She always greeted us when we came in, meowed if she wanted on our laps, meowed to let her our of "her room" (the office) in the morning, and often she just meowed for no reason at all, except to chat.  Sometimes I think I hear her.  That will fade with time but I will always treasure memories of my beautiful, blue-eyed Blanche.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary Mae
Sorry about Blance:
Thing of you and keeping Blance Inside was difficult when that door was open.
Take care

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. You've written such a beautiful tribute to Blanche. The memories she has left you are priceless!

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear this and I understand how you feel . I had problems after losing Honey so I adopted after a few months a special needs Yorkie . Mars is so happy and makes my days Special. Sending hugs to you and prayers

God Bless
Gail