Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Ed's Memorial "Stone"

It's hard to believe that six months have gone by since my Edmond went to heaven on April 23, 2012.  I still miss him every day.

Ed wanted part of his ashes scattered at sea and part of them in the cemetery in Singers Glen, Virginia beside where my ashes will be in the future.  The Neptune Society was most cooperative with this request.

Ed's memorial was a combination of ideas.  Rather than a headstone, there is a granite bench in his memory.
This view of the cemetery was taken while standing in front of our church, Donovan Memorial United Methodist. 
This is the view driving up to the cemetery.
 
I had thought about putting this memorial by my parents' stone but they're in the third row down and there was no open plot there.  
By luck (or Divine Intervention), there was one plot available at the top of the cemetery beside my grandparents.  I grew up in the house with both my parents and grandparents so it's meaningful that our plot is here.
The bench is three feet long and four inches thick.
The inscription on the side of the bench reads:  
"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."   Matthew 11:28

(Click on photos for a larger version.)
The top of Ed's Memorial Bench

Sitting on Ed's bench looking Southeast
Looking East
Looking North
  Looking Northwest
  Looking West

The veteran's memorial plaque for Ed arrived after I had come back to Florida so I will be getting that set later.
Most of the plaques are at the foot of the plot so that is probably where we'll place it.
I notice that Ed's military papers used the American spelling of his middle name.  On his birth certificate (in French, of course) and Canadian passport it is spelled "Jean".   (He was still a Canadian citizen.)  Note:  Ed also served 2 years in the army in Canada. 
 

I think Ed is smiling down,...

...
pleased with the simplicity of his memorial in this beautiful, peaceful setting in Singers Glen, Virginia.

5 comments:

Steven said...

Hi Mary, great job on the photos. Thanks so much I really appreciate it. Thinking of you and Dad everyday. Love,

Maribeth May said...

What a beautiful resting place for Edmond. Its evident that much thought and love went into this. "Yes," Ed is smiling down.

Maribeth

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing the photos & your arrangements. Lovely!

Anne

Beth said...

I really like the bench/memorial and the verse you had inscribed on the edge of the bench. Posting a photo taken in each direction was so thoughtful of you.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful thought Mary Mae